GTX1070+GT710 Multihead setup, Xinerama not working + some settings not saved/applied

Dear sir/madam,

My system is installed with Debian 64 bit, running kernel 4.6.0-1-amd64. And I am currently experiencing 2 problems with the new GTX1070 in my setup.

I recently upgraded from the following hardware:

GeForce GTX 970
GeForce GT 710

to:

GeForce GTX 1070, connected to a 1920x1080 monitor
GeForce GT 710, connected to a 1280x1024 monitor

And I use this setup with 2 monitor (1280x1024 and 1920x1080), 1 on each card (I need to have them on seperate cards for a PCI Passthrough setup I’m using). I have not switched operating systems or did a major change to my kernel in the mean time.

First problem:
In the previous setup I used Xinerama to allow for moving windows to/from the different monitors.

With the new GTX 1070 in my system (and I’ve already upgraded to the latest available driver), Xinerama causes my system do not output anything at all. If I disable Xinerama, it will work, but I am no longer able to move my windows between monitors.

Second problem:
It seems that some settings are not correctly saved/applied to/from the Xorg.conf file. I run my setup with 2 xorg.conf’s for both usecases:

• xorg-main.conf: Both GPUs enabled, spanning my 2 monitors (currently I have the GT710 disabled due to the issues with Xinerama):
    o When creating this configuration I always use to set the Xscreens relative to each other (e.g. Xscreen1 LeftOf Xscreen0). Everytime I save this configuration I am prompted with a message that setting absolute positions isn’t a recommended action and I should use relative positions instead.
    o When loading up this configuration in it’s current state (only GTX1070) I need to set the resolution of the 1920x1080 monitor again. Even if I ‘hardcoded’ the resolution to the xorg.conf file or set the screen on ‘Auto’.
  • xorg-secondary.conf: only the GT710 enabled, in this setup I have my GTX1070 bound to a virtual machine with VT-d.
    o So far I haven’t seen issues with this config, but I’ve included it for completeness’ sake.

What is the cause of these regressions?

Also, a bit of CS feedback. After I’ve payed €570,- for a graphics card a CS representative referring me to the forums in case of a problem isn’t really what I want to hear. I’m not expecting 24/7 5 minute service, but it would be nice if would get a -normal- ticket.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey van Pelt
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (126 KB)