Gym cuda error: no kernel image is available for execution on the device

Hi. I’m new to isaac gym and I’m trying to run some simple code like this:

gym.refresh_actor_root_state_tensor(sim)
gym.set_actor_root_state_tensor(sim, _saved_tensor)

and I got an error like this:

[Error] [carb.gym.plugin] Gym cuda error: no kernel image is available for execution on the device: ../../../source/plugins/carb/gym/impl/Gym/GymPhysXCuda.cu: 937
[Error] [carb.gym.plugin] Failed to fill root state tensor

Actually, if I run something like

• gym.fetch_results(sim, True)
  • gym.refresh_xxx_tensor()
  • gym.set_xxx_tensor()

with gpu pipeline, this error will occur. Other things like gym.acquire_xxx_tensor() seems ok. If I use cpu pipeline, then everything is ok. My pytorch works normally too.

Here’s my environment:

• driver version: 495
  • cuda version: 11.5
  • pytorch version: 1.10.0+cu113

The interaction between gpu pytorch and isaac gym seems not going well. What should I do to make it work?

Hi @moonout ,

Are you able to run the GPU-supported examples or RL examples with the GPU pipeline? It sounds like it could either be a setup issue or possibly something to do with your code.

Thanks for your reply. I run the 1080_balls_of_solitude.py and it seems fine.

Then I run apply_forces.py and the same error occurs:

[Error] [carb.gym.plugin] Gym cuda error: no kernel image is available for execution on the device: ../../../source/plugins/carb/gym/impl/Gym/GymPhysXCuda.cu: 926
[Error] [carb.gym.plugin] Failed to fill rigid body state tensor

I guess it’s a setup issue. It would be nice if you can help with me!

1080_balls_of_solitude.py should not work on gpu pipeline.
How?

Did you modify the source code?

(isaac) sa@Fossa:~/wsp/isaac_3/isaacgym/python/examples$ python apply_forces.py --pipeline gpu
Importing module ‘gym_38’ (/home/sa/wsp/isaac_3/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/_bindings/linux-x86_64/gym_38.so)
Setting GYM_USD_PLUG_INFO_PATH to /home/s/wsp/isaac_3/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/_bindings/linux-x86_64/usd/plugInfo.json
PyTorch version 1.8.2+cu111
Device count 1
/home/sa/wsp/isaac_3/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/_bindings/src/gymtorch
Using /home/sa/.cache/torch_extensions as PyTorch extensions root…
Emitting ninja build file /home/sa/.cache/torch_extensions/gymtorch/build.ninja…
Building extension module gymtorch…
Allowing ninja to set a default number of workers… (overridable by setting the environment variable MAX_JOBS=N)
ninja: no work to do.
Loading extension module gymtorch…
Not connected to PVD
+++ Using GPU PhysX
Physics Engine: PhysX
Physics Device: cuda:0
GPU Pipeline: enabled
MESA-INTEL: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0

No, I didn’t realize 1080_balls_of_solitude.py is cpu-only… Now it seems I run 1080_balls_of_solitude.py with cpu pipeline. I still can’t run apply_forces.py normally.
(btw, I didn’t modify any source code)

How about replacing it with this?

Is NVIDIA-SMI working?

Your setup versions all look very recent. Try downgrading PyTorch to 1.8 or 1.9, and make sure you are able to run PyTorch on GPU without using Isaac Gym first. It could be a versioning issue between the driver, CUDA, and PyTorch.

Hi. I have the same problem. I can run CPU-supported examples well, but in apply_forces.py I have same error.

[Error] [carb.gym.plugin] Gym cuda error: no kernel image is available for execution on the device: ../../../source/plugins/carb/gym/impl/Gym/GymPhysXCuda.cu: 926

Looks like pythorch work well:

>>> torch.cuda.get_device_name(0)
'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745'

driver version: 495
CUDA version: 11.5
pytorch version: 1.8

Everyone is pretty confused.
1080_balls_of_solitude.py should not work on gpu pipeline.

O sorry i messed up, I meant apply_forces.py . I will edit first post.

Is it an Ubuntu problem?

You can check the current kernel version of your system with the following command.

uname -r

My kernel version is “5.11.0-41-generic”.

Or, ‘NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745’

Yes I have Ubuntu 20.04. And same version 5.11.0-41-generic.

Go RTX A6000!

2021年12月8日(水) 21:15 korbash via NVIDIA Developer Forums <nvidia@discoursemail.com>:

Hi @kellyg . I tried 1.8.0+cu111 version, and it doesn’t work😥. The program stuck into a time.sleep() endless loop (deadlock maybe?)

Importing module 'gym_37' (/home/user/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/_bindings/linux-x86_64/gym_37.so)
Setting GYM_USD_PLUG_INFO_PATH to /home/user/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/_bindings/linux-x86_64/usd/plugInfo.json
PyTorch version 1.8.0+cu111
Device count 8
/home/user/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/_bindings/src/gymtorch
Using /home/user/.cache/torch_extensions as PyTorch extensions root...
^C
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "apply_forces.py", line 18, in <module>
    from isaacgym import gymtorch
  File "/home/user/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/gymtorch.py", line 109, in <module>
    _import_gymtorch()
  File "/home/user/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/gymtorch.py", line 45, in _import_gymtorch
    gt = torch.utils.cpp_extension.load(name="gymtorch", sources=sources, extra_cflags=cflags, verbose=True)
  File "/home/user/anaconda2/envs/isaacgym/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/utils/cpp_extension.py", line 1091, in load
    keep_intermediates=keep_intermediates)
  File "/home/user/anaconda2/envs/isaacgym/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/utils/cpp_extension.py", line 1308, in _jit_compile
    baton.wait()
  File "/home/user/anaconda2/envs/isaacgym/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/utils/file_baton.py", line 42, in wait
    time.sleep(self.wait_seconds)
KeyboardInterrupt

When it runs to this line, it falls into an endless loop:

(isaacgym/python/isaacgym/gymtorch.py, line 45, loading "gymtorch".)
gt = torch.utils.cpp_extension.load(name="gymtorch", sources=sources, extra_cflags=cflags, verbose=True)

Quite confusing. It would be nice if you can help me!

I tried version 1.9.0+cu111, too. It also fell in time.sleep(). My pytorch works normally.

The problem exists even when I use cpu pipeline. It seems have trouble loading gymtorch.

Can you try deleting the folder /home/user/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/_bindings/src/gymtorch. Maybe the PyTorch version change messed up the bindings.

Files in /home/user/isaacgym/python/isaacgym/_bindings/src/gymtorch are source code, deleting the folder will lead to errors. I delete /home/user/.cache/torch_extensions and the binding problem is solved.

However, when I run apply_forces.py with gpu pipeline, the error still exists:

When I run it with cpu pipeline, it works normally. So I went back to where I was…

Currently, my pytorch version is 1.9.0+cu111.

@korbash Have you made it work? 🥺

Are you using conda? Try rebuilding your entire environment with venv and pip.

I was using mini conda in Preview2 and I got various such errors. But Preview3 uses venv and pip. I haven’t got any errors so far.

For me who used both, venv is easier. It doesn’t even mix conda and pip.

I tried, but it doesn’t work …

Now my pytorch version is 1.8.1+cu111.