Hardware re-encode MJPG to H.264

Hi,

I am trying to hardware decode a MJPEG stream from a USB webcam and hardware re-encode the video to H.264.

I am using the following pipeline

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video2 io-mode=2 ! "image/jpeg, width=1920, height=1080, framerate=60/1" ! nvjpegdec ! "video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=I420" ! nvv4l2h264enc ! h264parse ! mpegtsmux ! filesink location=a.ts sync=false -e

When I run the pipeline, I get an error about unsupported colorimetry.

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Opening in BLOCKING MODE 
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
Redistribute latency...
NvMMLiteOpen : Block : BlockType = 4 
===== NVMEDIA: NVENC =====
NvMMLiteBlockCreate : Block : BlockType = 4 
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/nvv4l2h264enc:nvv4l2h264enc0: Device '/dev/nvhost-msenc' does not support 1:4:0:0 colorimetry
Additional debug info:
/dvs/git/dirty/git-master_linux/3rdparty/gst/gst-v4l2/gst-v4l2/gstv4l2object.c(4108): gst_v4l2_object_set_format_full (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/nvv4l2h264enc:nvv4l2h264enc0:
Device wants 1:4:5:1 colorimetry
EOS on shutdown enabled -- waiting for EOS after Error
Waiting for EOS...
Redistribute latency...

If I specify the colorimetry I get a negotiation error.

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video2 io-mode=2 ! "image/jpeg, width=1920, height=1080, framerate=60/1" ! nvjpegdec ! "video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=I420, colorimetry=1:4:5:1" ! nvv4l2h264enc ! h264parse ! mpegtsmux ! filesink location=a.ts sync=false -e
Opening in BLOCKING MODE 
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src0: Internal data stream error.
Additional debug info:
gstbasesrc.c(3055): gst_base_src_loop (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src0:
streaming stopped, reason not-negotiated (-4)
EOS on shutdown enabled -- waiting for EOS after Error
Waiting for EOS...
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstNvJpegDec:nvjpegdec0: No valid frames decoded before end of stream
Additional debug info:
gstvideodecoder.c(1161): gst_video_decoder_sink_event_default (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstNvJpegDec:nvjpegdec0:
no valid frames found
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/MpegTsMux:mpegtsmux0: Could not create handler for stream
Additional debug info:
mpegtsmux.c(996): mpegtsmux_create_streams (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/MpegTsMux:mpegtsmux0
^Chandling interrupt.
Interrupt: Stopping pipeline ...
Interrupt while waiting for EOS - stopping pipeline...
Execution ended after 0:00:15.311068402
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

It seems to me that I need a mechanism to change the colorimetry but I am not sure where to look to find out how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Ben

Hi,
Please try the following pipeline and see if you can see video preview:

$ gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video2 io-mode=2 ! "image/jpeg, width=1920, height=1080, framerate=60/1" ! nvjpegdec ! video/x-raw ! nvvidconv ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=NV12' ! nvoverlaysink

Hi @DaneLLL,

Thanks for the response.

I can confirm that if I run the pipeline above I can see the video preview however the image only refreshes about once per second.

If I add sync=false to the “nvoverlaysink” then the image refreshes nicely.

Concretely the pipeline that works well is,

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video2 io-mode=2 ! "image/jpeg, width=1920, height=1080, framerate=60/1" ! nvjpegdec ! video/x-raw ! nvvidconv ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=NV12' ! nvoverlaysink sync=false

Regards
Ben

Hi,
Please run ‘sudo jetson_clocks’ and try

$ gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video2 io-mode=2 ! "image/jpeg, width=1920, height=1080, framerate=60/1" ! nvjpegdec ! video/x-raw ! nvvidconv ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=NV12' ! nvv4l2h264enc ! h264parse ! mpegtsmux ! filesink location=a.ts sync=false

Hi @DaneLLL,

The command that you provided works - even without running jetson_clocks.

I am running jetson_stats [1] at the same time and notice that the hardware decoder is not running and CPU utilisation is “higher”. I was under the impression that nvjpegdec would utilise the hardware decoder resulting in very low CPU utilisation. Am I mistaken? Is there a better pipeline that I could be using to take full advantage of the hardware capabilities of the Jetson Nano?

Thank you for all your help so far. I greatly appreciate it.

Regards
Ben

[1] GitHub - rbonghi/jetson_stats: 📊 Simple package for monitoring and control your NVIDIA Jetson [Xavier NX, Nano, AGX Xavier, TX1, TX2]

Hi,
The optimal pipeline is to pass video/x-raw(memory:NVMM) buffers from head to tail in the pipeline. However, nvjpedec is not designed for continuous decoding, so it is run as ‘nvjpegdec ! video/x-raw’. An optimization is to run ‘nvjpegdec ! video/x-raw(memory:NVMM)’ and you may apply the patch and rebuild/replace libgstnvjpeg.so.

gst-jpeg source code is in
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/dlc/r32-3-1_Release_v1.0/Sources/T210/public_sources.tbz2

Thanks DaneLLL

The optimal pipeline is to pass video/x-raw(memory:NVMM) buffers from head to tail in the pipeline. However, nvjpedec is not designed for continuous decoding, so it is run as ‘nvjpegdec ! video/x-raw’.

Is it fair to say that, without applying the patch, there is no way to get this optimal pipeline while also using hardware JPEG decoding with Gstreamer on the Nano? Given that MJPEG is the norm for most USB cameras in meaningful resolutions, that really makes it very hard to say that USB cameras are usable at all in practical terms.

As to the patch, I just went through the whole process with a fresh install of JetPack 4.3 on a Nano dev kit (A02). I used the L4T 32.3.1 public sources and the oft-mentioned patch (nvjpegdec slower then jpegdec in gstreamer - #25 by DaneLLL). The patch broke the build, so I had to diagnose and get the nvbuf_utils header and lib included. When I then deployed as instructed, the pipeline that had worked previously then gives “Bus error (core dumped)”.

I’m not sure why, if this can be patched, that NVIDIA cannot just provide this as a working binary. I really didn’t need to waste hours finding and building all of that, just so I could get basic usability out of a USB camera, and STILL not actually get it working. Short of providing a binary, can you at least make it easy to find the code and provide working build instructions?

Hi,
I am author of the patch and has proposed it in internal review. Teams had other opinions and the patch got rejected. Since gst-jpeg is open source and should be fine to let users download the source code and follow build instruction.

Besides, users can consider to use tegra_multimedia_api. The 12_camera_v4l2_cuda sampke has demonstration of MJPEG decoding.

1 Like

Thanks @DaneLLL, understood. Unfortunately, as I said above, I tried following the build instructions, found that I had to improvise some changes that were not documented, and when running it got a core dump. Can you help me understand where I went wrong? Is there a revised build configuration to go along with the patch?

For the record, I’m working with gstjpegdec primarily because our product is based on Deepstream, and therefore Gstreamer. So 12_camera_v4l2_cuda doesn’t help us directly. I’m sorry they kept your patch out of the release - add my voice to wanting this. Otherwise, NVIDIA honestly should say that Deepstream is only for use with MIPI cameras and not USB cameras.

Hi,
The patch is not compatible with DeepStream SDK. In DS SDK, please try nvv4l2decoder mjpeg=1

Reference sample:
deepstream_sdk_v4.0.2_jetson\sources\apps\sample_apps\deepstream-image-decode-test

Ah, yes that worked, thanks! Here is the working pipeline I used:

gst-launch-1.0 -ev v4l2src device=/dev/video1 io-mode=2 ! 'image/jpeg, width=1920, height=1080, framerate=30/1' ! jpegparse  ! nvv4l2decoder mjpeg=1 enable-max-performance=1 ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=NV12' ! fpsdisplaysink video-sink=fakesink

Two questions and one suggestion:

• Is there any disadvantage to using ‘enable-max-performance=1’ on the nvv4l2decoder, or any circumstance where you specifically would not use it?
  • Using ‘jtop’ from the ‘jetson-stats’ package, I don’t see the hardware decoder marked as ‘RUNNING’ although performance seems like it must be. Is that detected differently than for h.264/265/etc? Just curious

Also, please pass along to the doc team that there should be a reference to MJPEG decoding with ‘nvv4l2decoder’ in the “Accelerated GStreamer User Guide”. Right now it only mentions other video formats there, and unless you run gst-inspect on the element you would have no idea that it handles MJPEG at all (and even with gst-inspect it’s not clear how to construct a command for a real case). If I had found MJPEG or MJPG when I searched through the Accelerated Gstreamer docs, it would have been very helpful.

Thanks DaneLLL.

Hi,
MJPEG decoding in nvv4l2decoder is specific to using DeepStream SDK. It is not fully compatible with plugins listed in Accelerated Gstreamer User Guide. We are working on unifying the interfaces. Will update documents accordingly once it is well implemented and verified.

For single decoding process, you can keep it disabled for efficient power consumption. If you run simultaneous decoding processes, suggest enble it for maximum decoding performance.

It is individual hardware engine called NVJPG. sudo tegrastats shows clock of NVDEC, and does not show NVJPG.

1 Like

Great info, thanks @DaneLLL.

Hi @DaneLLL

There is a way to read the status of the NVJPG engine?

You may check if active and if yes frequency with sysfs:

sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/nvjpg/clk_enable_count
sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/nvjpg/clk_rate
1 Like

Thank you!

I want add this feature in my next release of jetson-stats I think is a useful information.

1 Like

Hi @Honey_Patouceul

This weekend I started to study the NVJPG and I looked the files that you suggest me.

In these files

• clk_enable_countcheck if the engine works
  • clk_rateshow the rate in Hz

What I should find on sys?

I never go in deep on this engine, and I want be sure that I show the right values :-)

this is a preview for jtop 2.1 new version.

It looks ok to me, although if it is off ( clk_enable_count is 0), then frequency has no meaning and in such case tegrastats doesn’t show frequency for NVDEC or NVENC.
If 1, the frequency read from clk_rate is in Hz, as you seemed to have converted.
Note that you can do the same for NVENC and NVDEC and check you get same (well
say similar) results as tegrastats.

1 Like

Ok! Look nice now!

I will release the new version soon

1 Like