Have the instructions to boot from USB changed?

Using the github rootOnUSB stuff.
My instructions say to run addUSBToInitramfs.sh , and i did that.
did the mkfs.ext4 like I should.
copyRootToUSB.sh coughed somewhat, but I did do the
rsync -axHAWX --numeric-ids --info=progress2 --exclude=/proc / /altu
(/altu was where i had the USB mounted) and that went fine.

Where things got weird (I think) was the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file. I changed the INITRD and APPEND lines using
initrd-xusb.img and my disk’s UUID.

But when booting it gets into a loop. It flashes the nvidia logo and goes black, and repeats that. What’s worse is that when I tried to un-do the changes – ie, to revert back to just the SD card – it still got into the same loop.

ideas?

Please refer to

We don’t know what is rootOnUSB. This method or tool is not maintained by us so may out of date when new release coming out.

All of these things reference flash.sh.
where do i get that???

When you download and run JetPack/SDK Manager this will download some other software for you. See:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack-archive

JetPack/SDKM is actually just a front end to the “driver package” during flash. When you run sdkmanager you’ll end up with a subdirectory of your home directory which is really the “driver package”:
~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack...version.../Linux_for_Tegra/

flash.sh is within that directory. Note that running SDKM actually does more than just install that software, for example, it also installs the “Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/” content, updates this with NVIDIA files, and prepares for flash (which can then be performed by SDKM if you want, or directly using the Linux_for_Tegra/flash.sh ...options...).

Often what you will do is just a full flash of the Jetson (SDKM can have the host side procedures unchecked, but it may not be obvious you can uncheck them), and perhaps later to go back and perform some operation on command line with flash.sh.

this means i have to have an x86-like machine running ubuntu or debian or whatever?
since it’s …amd64.deb . right? at least something to install from a .deb right?

never mind. i will try this scheme to install i just found.

when i get to
step 1
it says there are no versions for Linux.
so i guess this does mean I have to have an x86 machine running some flavor of
debian/ubuntu or whatever, doesn’t it?

j.

This is correct. The actual JetPack/SDK Manager front end, and the driver package it downloads, is on a Linux host PC (preferably Ubuntu 18.04).

The installer software must run on a Linux PC. Technically the driver package works on any PC with any flavor of Linux, but the GUI SDKM/JetPack needs a PC with Ubuntu 18.04. The list of all versions of JetPack/SDKM are here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack-archive