Hdmi to vga dosen't support in jetson nano

Hi all,
My monitor has VGA and I want to use hdmi-vga convector to this problem,
but this cause doesn’t show a thing in monitor, Is there a solution for this problem? Is it possible to solve? or I have to buy hdmi supported monitor?

VGA is not supported. There is a wire on HDMI used for automatic configuration, and VGA lacks this (even in cases where VGA has that wire it will use the wrong older protocol). You could get an active VGA-to-HDMI adapter, but it must be programmed with your monitor’s specs…or at least a compatible monitor’s specs. Non-autoconfiguration is not supported.

Thanks.
I used the VGA2HDMI convertor. How to do the programming that adapter?

You may have a look to this.

Specifying a Custom EDID for the Display

The EDID (extended display identification data) is a collection of data in a display which lists its modes of operation (resolutions, refresh rates, etc.).

If X11 does not recognize the mode list of a particular model of display, it may be because the display has an invalid EDID. In this case the X driver cannot accurately determine the capabilities of the display. You can correct this problem by using nvidia-xconfig to specify a valid EDID.

To specify a custom EDID for the display

•Enter this command:

$ nvidia-xconfig --custom-edid=HDMI-:

Where:

• is the index of the HDMI display for which the custom EDID is defined. It is 0 for the first HDMI display, 1 for the second, etc.

• is the complete path to a file that contains the custom EDID. The filetype of this file customarily is .bin.

only this part? this part is done with ssh or tty?

I run xrandr and get this output :

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1200, maximum 32767 x 32767
DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 connected primary 1920x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 519mm x 324mm
1920x1200 59.95*+ 59.88
1920x1080 59.94
1680x1050 59.95
1600x1200 60.00
1600x1000 60.00
1280x1024 85.02 75.02 60.02
1280x960 60.00
1280x720 59.94
1152x720 60.00
1024x768 75.03 60.00
800x600 75.00 60.32
720x480 59.94 59.94
640x480 75.00 59.94
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-5 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

for modify nvidia-xconfig --custom-edid=HDMI-: n=0 and what is the path?

@LoveNvidia,

Sorry to say that, but you’re acting as if you were the boss.
You have awesome stats for posts (questions, not answers) and topics.
I’m ok for helping, but I’d expect you to take more than 10 mins for:

• reading the doc
  • try to understand (at least googling for it)
  • try by yourself
  • and only post when you’re stuck, with what you do and what error you’re facing.

Good luck anyway

Thanks, I read the doc,
1- but I can’t nvidia-xconfig install, How?
I also have the second question, please guidance me.
2- now I not connected the HDMI to jetson , but before I connected the HDMI to jetson, and I now connected the jetson via ssh, when I run xrandr, I get this output, this is due to I before connected this spec of monitor to jetson ?

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1200, maximum 32767 x 32767
DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 connected primary 1920x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 519mm x 324mm
1920x1200 59.95*+ 59.88
1920x1080 59.94
1680x1050 59.95
1600x1200 60.00
1600x1000 60.00
1280x1024 85.02 75.02 60.02
1280x960 60.00
1280x720 59.94
1152x720 60.00
1024x768 75.03 60.00
800x600 75.00 60.32
720x480 59.94 59.94
640x480 75.00 59.94
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-5 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

3- I understand this concept, If I mistake please correct me, I need to override the nvidia features with generating edid.bin and append these features to xorg.conf ?

Thanks for taking this into account.

I cannot answer to 1, as

sudo apt search nvidia-xconfig

returns nothing, but this is a legitimate question, and NVIDIA may better answer to this (my own setup may be currently broken).

For 2, yes I think that it would have memory for the last correct received EDID.

For 3, the idea is to provide a hard-coded EDID suitable for your VGA monitor.

Thanks,
In your opinion, I don’t need hard-coded EDID?

My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that with a VGA adapter, it would lack one wire to provide EDID. So the only way it would work would be to provide a hard-coded EDID suitable for your monitor. How to produce it is an open question to me so far. I’d first try on host (preferably with a recent NVIDIA graphics card and driver) and check if a fake EDID is used in such case. If yes, try to copy it. You may get it from xrand --props but it may need some re-formatting.

I used xrandr --props for PC host system and jetson nano via ssh, and I get the same output.

You may get the EDID from each case (may need some re-formatting) and paste it into www.edidreader.com for checking the properties.
[EDIT: from host I was meaning pluging the VGA monitor into host and check props from host.]

If the X config is not possible, you might also try this.

Thanks.

One issue is if your monitor sends EDID data. An active adapter can be programmed to pretend it is the monitor’s EDID response. This has to be programmed by the instructions for the active adapter manufacturer (you’ll need to know the EDID string).

The other issue was that from @Honey_Patouceul who mentions a custom EDID. One can set up support for a custom EDID as well. Both approaches require knowing the specifications of the monitor to create the EDID.

Scenarios:

• Monitor provides EDID.
  • Adapter provides EDID.
  • Drivers use EDID.
  • Drivers use edited custom EDID which was not previously supported.
  • Drivers use edited custom EDID which is not even submitted via HDMI.

Basically an EDID must be provided. Programming your monitor’s EDID into a custom adapter is the best since this means you can plug it in to any HDMI port and it will work. Some monitors have odd specifications, and the driver won’t support it even if EDID is required…in that case you must add the EDID into the software on the Jetson. When adding the software into the Jetson I believe you can force an EDID even if not provided over HDMI. No matter how you program EDID you must have the specifications of the monitor in the form of EDID, and program this. The active adapter will have instructions from the manufacturer to program EDID. You only need to worry about custom EDIDs if the monitor has an odd unsupported mode.

Note: I do not have an active adapter so I have not attempted to program one before.

apt search will not show files cotained in packages, unfortunately. If a package is installed already you can do:

dpkg -S "$(which ffmpeg)"
ffmpeg: /usr/bin/ffmpeg

To search for the ffmpeg command, for example.

If the package isn’t already installed, you can search using the apt-file utility installed with sudo apt install apt-file

In any case, the instructions you linked to would seem to be out of date since the nvidia-xconfig utility does not seem to exist in the current JetPack release.

Somebody from Nvidia will likely have to answer this definitively. The only answer I can find on a google includes the link you already posted, but that implies mastering a new disk image, which is not easy, even with the handy scripts.

Imo, it shouldn’t be expected since it assumes a level of arcane knowledge most people don’t have. This is a repeated question on this forum. In business environments where old hardware is recycled, VGA monitors can still be a thing. It shouldn’t require modifying a .dtb, mastering an image, flashing it, etc, to manually specify a display mode (if that will even work here).

@LoveNvidia, does the monitor have a DVI port on it? If so, you might try a HDMI->DVI adaptor. Reportedly, this works. Alternatively, i’d suggest at this point it’s simply easier to find another supported monitor since the official position seems to be that VGA is unsupported.

@mdegans

please see this link. this is my monitor.

My understanding is hdmi is basically DVI+audio, so a hdmi->dvi cable/adaptor should work in your case.