How to boot up Xavier from a user defined partition?

Dear Nvidia team,

I have a user defined partition which has the kernel and the rootfs.
I am looking for information to tell cboot to boot from this user defined partition instead of the APP partition, mmcblk0p1.

Thanks.

Walter

Hi,

Please refer to

https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%2520Linux%2520Driver%2520Package%2520Development%2520Guide%2Fgetting_started.html

Choosing a Boot Device for Jetson AGX Xavier Series Platforms

Hi,

If you have any further question, please tell us on forum topic first.

For your request, I think this link provides similar solution.

Hi,

Thanks for the information so far. Let’s say there is a user defined partition at mmcblk0p38 which has the kernel, rootfs and extlinux.conf. What I am really looking for is that cboot will read the extlinux.conf in this partition, and then load the kernel and the rootfs accordingly. A minor patch to cboot allows me to do so. I wonder if this can be done via configuration like in cbo without patching.

Thanks for the help.

Walter

Hi Walter,

Actually what I am not sure is whether you could just add arbitrary APP partition in partition layout and let it be mmcblk0p2.

If it is feasible, then the next problem is cbo only knows the boot-order for something like

“boot-order = “sd”, “usb”, “emmc”, “net”;”

You can notice there is only one “emmc” here. I don’t think cboot is able to tell whether it is mmcblk0p1 or mmcblk0p2 at this moment.

Thus, I think it is possible to put rootfs on mmcblk0p2 but the kernel may still need to be on mmcblk0p1.

Hi Wayne,

The user defined partitions are not added arbitrarily into the existing partition layout. Instead, they are added per information available in partition configuration. Thanks for confirming that currently, there is no configuration to allow cboot to pick up kernel from a different partition other than APP.

Thanks.

Walter