How to copy a host function pointer to device in CUDA

Hello everyone.
I recently started porting a cpp matrix library to cuda code in order to accelerate the matrix operations.

in the old cpu-based code, i had a function in the matrix class, .apply(double (*func)(double)), that applied a function to each element of the matrix;

Matrix Matrix::apply(double (*func)(double)) const
{
    Matrix applied(this->rows, this->cols);

for (int i = 0; i < this->rows; i++)
        for (int j = 0; j < this->cols; j++)
            applied.data[i][j] = func(this->data[i][j]);

return applied;
}

Now, how would i be able to sort of “copy” the function pointer from host to device, in order to give it to a kernel that does the exact same thing only parallelized between multiple threads like this:

void applyWrapper(double** A, double (*hostFuncPtr)(double), size_t rows, size_t cols
{
     auto deviceFuncPtr = /* copy the function pointed by hostFuncPtr into a device function pointer */
     applyKernel<<<1, 1>>>(A, deviceFuncPtr, rows, cols);
}

void applyKernel(double** A, double (*devFuncPtr)(double), size_t rows, size_t cols)
{
    size_t idx = threadIdx.x;
    size_t stride = blockDim.x;

for (size_t i = idx; i < A_cols; i += stride)
        for (size_t j = 0; j < A_rows; j++)
            A[j][i] = func(A[j][i]);
}

Hi,

This is the Networking category, this issue should be posted in one of the CUDA forums. I will move it over for you.

cuda sample codes include a sample demonstrating function pointer usage

any function pointer you want to use in device code had better be obtained from a properly decorated device function. You cannot pass a pointer that points to a host function and expect to do anything sensible with it in device code.

The cuda sample code will make this evident.