How to get vulkan working on a ubuntu20.04 docker container

hello,

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I would run a Vulkan application inside a docker container?

I am using nvidia/cuda:11.6.–base-ubuntu20.04 as base image but I am not able to get Vulkan working, I got the following error:

vulkan@dolores:/# vulkaninfo
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

thanks in advance,

you need install libvulkan-dev

if you are running it inside a docker container, then you need to connect your docker instance to a X11 server in you host and forward your display to docker

docker run -e DISPLAY=localhost:0

you need to install X11 server software, like XMing X server or Cygwin/X or VcXsrv or XQuartz

and make sure that X11 server is running and working

To run a Vulkan application inside a Docker container, you need to make sure that the following requirements are met:

1. The Docker image should have the required Vulkan libraries installed.

2. The Docker container should have access to the host’s GPU resources.
    Here’s a general outline of the steps you can follow:

3. Start by installing the required Vulkan libraries inside the Docker image. You can install the libraries using a package manager, such as apt-get, or by building them from source.

4. Next, you’ll need to configure the Docker container to have access to the host’s GPU resources. You can do this by using the --gpus flag when starting the container. For example:

type or paste code heredocker run --gpus all -it nvidia/cuda:11.6.–base-ubuntu20.04 /bin/bash

Inside the Docker container, you'll need to install any required drivers for your GPU. You can install the drivers using the package manager or by downloading the drivers from the GPU manufacturer's website.

Finally, you should be able to run the Vulkan application inside the Docker container. You can test this by running the vulkaninfo command. If you encounter a "Segmentation fault" error, you may need to check the logs or consult the Vulkan documentation for more information.

Note: Running GPU-accelerated applications in Docker containers can be complex and requires a good understanding of both Docker and GPU acceleration. If you encounter difficulties, you may need to seek additional assistance from the Docker or GPU communities.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.