I2C does not detect device

I2C bus 0 and 1 do not detect connected devices. I was following the jetson hacks to connect an adafruit 10 DOF IMU to the jetson tx2 when qtcreator building RTIMULIB demo didn’t detect a connected IMU.

I have a jetson nano and jetson TX2. I’m running Ubuntu 16.04. I’ve hooked up two different IMUs to the Jetson Nano. The configuration is:

Gnd > Gnd
Vin > 3v3 (I’ve also tried 5V)
SDA > pin 3 (tried also pin 27)
SCL > pin 5 (tried also pin 28)

I confirmed the pins are getting ~3.3V on both the IMU and Jetson (also tested with 5V pin) when connected. I’ve confirmed all connections are correct.

When I run sudo i2cdetect -r -y 0 (or 1), I get:

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f

00: – – – – – – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – – – – –

I can duplicate this issue on two jetson TX2s and a nano. I’ve tried a different 9DOF IMU from another maker to confirm the issue isn’t the IMU. the i2cdetect results are same. The IMU I am primarily using is the Adafruit 10-DOF IMU Breakout - L3GD20H + LSM303DLHC + BMP180. Just in case someone asks, pull up resistors did not help.

The jetson jack video makes it look like this should not require massive effort to get an IMU working on the jetson but this process fails on three different jetsons in the exact same way.

What is the next thing to check?

Could you probe the signal to check if the device ack the bus?

Hi mxblack,

Have you managed to get issue resolved or still need support?
Please update the status, then can help you move it forward.

I’m working on your request and should have a response by 10/5/19 5PM PST.

Probe results are posted.

I2C IMU Logic Analyzer Screenshot.png