Installation of GPU driver on VM

Hi there,

I have a GPU ‘HPE NVIDIA Tesla V100 PCIe 32GB Computational Accelerator’ installed in a server. And I created a virtual machine of Ubuntu18.04 with ‘VMware ESXi 6.7’ and assigned an GPU to this VM. But I failed to install GPU drivers on this VM.
Below are all the approaches I tried.

1. Download GPU driver (418.87) for Tesla V100 from Nvidia website, which is a .deb file. Installation of driver is OK, but when I use nvidia-smi, an error msg of ‘NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.’ comes out
  2. Download GPU driver (418.43) from HPE website, which is a .run file. Installation fails with msg ‘ERROR: unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module.’
  3. Install a GRID GPU driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.46-grid.run. Installation is OK. nvidia-smi also can work, but some information of GPU such as Fan, Temp or power usage, are N/A. And I tried to run a CNN model, it failed with msg ‘check failed: error == cudaSuccess (46 vs. 0) all CUDA-capable devices are busy or unavailable’.

Could you please help me with this issue?

Thanks
Starethics