installing trial on mac os x

I have gone through all of the steps for downloading a trial version of the PGI workstation on Mac OS X but can’t seem to overcome the final hurdle of testing the temporary license and starting PGI.

Part of the confusion is that I am new to Mac, thought I was installing a student trial of visual fortran on Mac when really it was the workstation (visual studio not available for Mac), have tried using vmware fusion w/ win. xp on the mac to use the student trial of visual fortran but ran into an error with 64 vs. 32-bit compiler. Basically, I’m in an installation nightmare that is probably self-induced, although I have a couple of tips for the PG group if they are interested in making their software download a bit more of an enjoyable experience. All this to say that I am trying to keep my cool and determined to figure out what isn’t working.

Here is what I have done.

Following the installation instructions:

% setenv PGI /opt/pgi
% set path=(/opt/pgi/osx86-64/8.0/bin $path)
% setenv MANPATH "$MANPATH":/opt/pgi/osx86-64/8.0/man
% setenv LM_LICENSE_FILE \
“$LM_LICENSE_FILE":/opt/pgi/license.dat

I get the following error <Unmatched ".>

I tried this before and thought it worked, but I may have just missed this error.

The set path command seems to have worked.
% echo $PATH

gives:
/opt/pgi/osx86-64/8.0/bin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

Next, if I just keep on plugging away and try
%pgf77 -V x.f

I get:

[echidna:~] rmueller% pgf77 -V x.f

pgf77 8.0-3 64-bit target on Apple OS/X 
Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2000-2008, STMicroelectronics, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
NOTE: your trial license will expire in 14 days, 7.03 hours.
PGFTN/x86-64 OSX 8.0-3
Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2000-2008, STMicroelectronics, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
PGFTN-F-0002-Unable to open source input file: x.f
[echidna:~] rmueller%

Which seems good, right?

My license looks okay, except the first line is
SERVER ANY ANY

The “ANY ANY” part seems bothersome. Should I change this? My hostID does show up, but it’s in the fourth line from bottom.
VENDOR_STRING=TRIAL:8:cdk HOSTID=…

I don’t have to start the license manager deamon because this is a trial, so I go to step 7 in the installation instructions: “Review documentation”

What seems to be missing, however, is a simple statement that says “open ______ to run PGI visual fortran”

Isn’t there a GUI interface somewhere that will help me view, modify, compile code, or am I seriously mistaken regarding what the PGI compiler offers???

I need someone to throw me a bone here.

Thanks![/code]

Hi rmueller,

I get the following error <Unmatched ".>

At least on my screen, it appears that you have two different characters for quotes. Though, it just may be me. In either case, you shouldn’t need to quote $LM_LICENSE_FILE.

Which seems good, right?

Yes it appears that the compilers are working correctly.

The “ANY ANY” part seems bothersome. Should I change this?

No, this is fine and expected for a trial license. A trial license works on any system, but just for a limited amount of time.

Isn’t there a GUI interface somewhere that will help me view, modify, compile code, or am I seriously mistaken regarding what the PGI compiler offers???

As you noted above, our Visual Studio product (PVF) is only available on Windows. For Mac, we only offer command line compilers, though the PGI debugger, PGDBG, does have a GUI interface.

• MAt

Thanks, Mat.

At least on my screen, it appears that you have two different characters for quotes. Though, it just may be me. In either case, you shouldn’t need to quote $LM_LICENSE_FILE.

It’s unclear to me what the command is in the installation file. Here is what I have tried.

[echidna:~] rmueller% setenv LM_LICENSE_FILE \''$LM_LICENSE_FILE'':/opt/pgi/license.dat
Unmatched '.
[echidna:~] rmueller% setenv LM_LICENSE_FILE \ "$LM_LICENSE_FILE":/opt/pgi/license.dat
LM_LICENSE_FILE: Undefined variable.
[echidna:~] rmueller% setenv LM_LICENSE_FILE \"$LM_LICENSE_FILE":/opt/pgi/license.dat
Unmatched ".

i.e. using ‘’, ", and no space after .

I think the GUI debugger window is mainly what I am looking for. I haven’t worked with Fortran much (obviously) let alone many different platforms, but I’m looking for an editing environment that will help facilitate code writing through syntax highlighting, etc. Perhaps the debug GUI is sufficient for this purpose? But I am now moving away from installation Q and into “is this really what I need” Q, which I realize I should direct elsewhere…

Thanks,
Rachael

Hi Rachel,

Unless you want the quote to be part of the environment variable, you shouldn’t escape it. But if you escape the quote, it needs to be escaped on both sides. For example:

% setenv test_env \"$LM_LICENSE_FILE":/opt/pgi/license.dat
tcsh: Unmatched ".
% setenv test_env \"$LM_LICENSE_FILE\":/opt/pgi/license.dat
% echo $test_env
"27000@rainier.pgi.net":/opt/pgi/license.dat
% setenv test_env "$LM_LICENSE_FILE":/opt/pgi/license.dat
% echo $test_env
27000@rainier.pgi.net:/opt/pgi/license.dat

As for a editor, you might want to try Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/). It has a Fortran plug-in called “Photran”. I have not tried it myself but have been told it is quite good.

PGDBG is strictly a debugger and has no editing capability.

• Mat