PGDBG Debugger (13.6 vrsion) problem

Dear All,

In the interface of the PGDBG Debugger, the source frame seems disable and cannot enter the code in it. So I enter the filename of source code at the bottom frame of the interface and click the “OPEN” button. the error window will then prompted out.

"the error log “pgdbg_errlog_2013_12_27_12_42_27” contains a description of how the problem occured.

Why? Kindly please give me help of how the problem is solved.

Thanks.
Simon

Hi Simonlee1,

PGDBG isn’t a editor and only displays source from precompiled code with debugging enabled (-g).

For editing, you can use PGI Visual Fortran (PVF) (assuming you have it installed), or a text editor.

Hope this helps,
Mat

Dear Mat,

Thanks for your kind reply.

Anyway, after complete package (version 13.6) installation, I cannot find any visual fortran editor other than the window-mode PGDBG. Please give us the guideline on how to install the visual fortran editor and its link with the package (13.6 version) for compiling.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Simon

Dear Mat,

If the visual fortran is needed, which version of PVF has to be downloaded?
Is the package pvf32-xp-1310.exe OK?

Regards,
Simon

Dear Mat,

I try to install visual fortran package, pvf32-xp-1310.exe, but prompt out the error message as follows

VS2012 shell is required.

Since the operating system of our PC is XP, it cannot install VS2012.

I try to install VS2008 express and then pvf32-xp-1310.exe, but it also fail. Please advise the possible solution.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately, VS express doesn’t allow add-on products so can’t be used with PVF. However if you don’t have a copy of the full VS2008 or VS2010, you can obtain an older Visual Studio Shell by downloading an older PVF release found on our archive page (
Release Download Archive | PGI). For VS2010, 12.10 was the last PVF to include this shell, and PVF 10.9 was the last to include VS2008.

After downloading and installing the appropriate shell, you can then install the PVF 13.10 compilers without the shell. PVF automatically uses the last compiler version installed.

Hope this helps,
Mat

Dear Mat,

Our PC do not have any Visual Studio apart from Visual Studio Express, kindly please advise the exact version for the old PVF release package so that our existing PGI version 13.6 can work, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,

As I note above, for VS2010 you will need to first download and install PVF 12.10 with the VS Shell and then install PVF 13.6 without the shell. For VS2008, please install PVF 10.9 with the shell and then install PVF 13.6.

Hope this helps,
Mat

Dear Mat,

After the visual studio 2010 shell has been installed, I try to compile a simple fortran program. However, the following errors can be shown

------ Build started: Project: PVFProject2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling Project …
WinApp.f90
The compiler (pgfortran.exe) cannot be found.
PVFProject2 build failed.

After checking, the “pgfortran.exe” can be found at c:\program files\pgi\win32\13.6\bin .

Kindly please let us know how the PVF is linked to the PGI compiler, many thanks.

Regards.
Simon

Dear MAT,

When the correct path of the compiler is set in the option of PVF directories, the previous error will be disappeared. Anyway, when the simple console program

program main
implicit none

print *, “Hello World”
end program main

is compiled, the new error will be given as follows

Warning 1 unrecognized option “DYNAMICBASE:NO”; ignored LINK
Error 2 debugging information corrupt; recompile module libcmt.lib
Kindly please advise the solution.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Simon,

Did you do a fresh 13.6 installation after you installed 12.10? What I’d do next is use the Windows “uninstall program” and remove the 12.10 and 13.6 compilers (keep the PVF shell), then re-install 13.6.

• Mat

Dear Mat,

I would like to mention my previous installation procedures

(1) install 13.6 PGI
(2) install visual fortran with 2010 visual studio shell
(3) set path for the pgfortran compiler in the visual studio shell.
(4) owing compiling problem, I try to delete 13.6 PGI only without deleting visual fortran.
(5) delete the residual directories of 13.6 and reboot the computer
(6) reinstall 13.6 PGI
(7) attempt to compile the simple fortran program but show the errors mentioned in the last post.

Kindly please point out the mistakes for the above procedures and
list out the correct procedures step by step.

Furthermore, is the compiler (13.6) path set automatically after installing visual fortran? is it necessary to set the path manually?

thanks.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,

It is not necessary to install PGI Workstation to use the compilers in PVF.
It should not be necessary to set the path for the pgfortran compilers in the Visual Studio Shell if PVF has been installed.
It should not be necessary to delete any directories in the PGI installation if the WS or PVF products have been uninstalled correctly, i.e., by using the “Control Panel | Programs and Features interface.”
It is typically not necessary to reboot your computer unless the installer instructs you to do so.

What I’d like you to do is uninstall all PGI programs on your system. Feel free to send PGI Customer Service (trs@pgroup.com) a screen shot of the “uninstall” control panel if you need help in determining which programs are PGI. Next, install PVF 12.10 with the VS2010 shell, and then install PVF 13.6 without the shell. That should be all that’s needed.

• Mat

Dear Mat,

I am successful to install PVF and compile the fortran program, many thanks for your kind help.

Regards,
Simon