Integrating MPICH-1.2.6-GM into PGI 6.1 CDK ...

All,

The distribution of MPICH 1.2.6 that comes with PGI CDK 6.1 is
MPICH-TCP correct? What is the recommended approach for
using the GM version with the CDK package? Should one built
the GM version of MPICH 1.2.6 with PGI compilers and overlay it
onto the MPICH libraries in the CDK tree, or should one create
a separate set of mpi(run,cc,f90,etc) commands that use the PGI
compilers?

The first approach allows you to use the PGI compiler command
line options for linking in MPI I assume.

What is the right way to do this and what are the correct steps.

Perhaps if my interest is in GM and I do not want the PGI distribution of
Torque installed, I do not want PGI CDK at all, but just the workstation version even though I an running on a cluster.

Regards,

Richard Walsh

PS. If I then wanted to upgrade my CDK tree with the 6.2 compilers
what would be the implication for MPICH-GM?

The distribution of MPICH 1.2.6 that comes with PGI CDK 6.1 is
MPICH-TCP correct?

Yes

What is the recommended approach for using the GM version with the CDK package? Should one built the GM version of MPICH 1.2.6 with PGI compilers and overlay it onto the MPICH libraries in the CDK tree, or should one create a separate set of mpi(run,cc,f90,etc) commands that use the PGI
compilers?

You should download and compile MPICH-GM seperately from the 6.1 CDK. With the 6.2 CDK, we’ve improved the directory structure which will better help you integrate MPICH-GM.

Perhaps if my interest is in GM and I do not want the PGI distribution of Torque installed, I do not want PGI CDK at all, but just the workstation version even though I an running on a cluster.

This is entirely up to you and please contact sales@pgroup.com for advice on which specific product is best for you. Note that that MPICH versions that accompany the CDK have been modified for use the PGI PGDBG debugger. The workstation version of PGDBG does not contain cluster support.

• Mat