Is it possible to have a fallback file system on eMMC, while having the main one on an NVMe?

Hi,

I am trying to have a fallback rootfs on the eMMC, the main file system is on an NVMe. I am using JetPack-5.0.2 and an Xavier AGX. I have tried setting up a backup entry in extlinux.conf with the only difference being the root flag pointing to the partition where the other file system lives (in this case, partition 1 of the eMMC), like so:

TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT primary

MENU TITLE L4T boot options

LABEL primary
MENU LABEL primary kernel
LINUX /boot/Image
FDT /boot/dtb/kernel_tegra194-p2888-0001-p2822-0000.dtb
INITRD /boot/initrd
APPEND ${cbootargs} root=/dev/nvme0n1p1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 mminit_loglevel=4 console=ttyTCU0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0 rootfstype=ext4 sdhci_tegra.en_boot_part_access=1

LABEL backup
MENU LABEL backup kernel
LINUX /boot/Image
FDT /boot/dtb/kernel_tegra194-p2888-0001-p2822-0000.dtb
INITRD /boot/initrd
APPEND ${cbootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 mminit_loglevel=4 console=ttyTCU0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0 rootfstype=ext4 sdhci_tegra.en_boot_part_access=1

This does not seem to work. If there is no valid file system on the NVMe I get a kernel panic. I can manually choose to boot from the second entry using the UEFI GUI though, but I need this to happen automatically.

Questions:
1. Is there a better way to achieve having a file system and fallback file system on different storage devices?
2. Does A/B file system redundancy support having the fallback file system on another storage device?

Thanks,

Marisol

Hi,
Please share more information. Do you mean having rootfs on eMMC and NVMe SSD(primary). When NVMe SSD is corrupted, it can automatically fall back to boot to eMMC. Is this correct?

Hi Dane,

Thank you for replying. Yes, exactly that.

In this case I would like a way to automatically use the rootfs that is on the eMMC in case my primary rootfs (located on the NVMe) is corrupted. Is that possible?

Thank you again.

Hi,
Have checked with our teams and confirmed we don’t support this use-case on current releases.

Hi Dane,

I see, thanks for the responses.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.