Jeston Xavier NX support hw codecs

Hi,
Which hw codecs does Jeston Xavier NX support and where can find hw codecs capabilities?
Thanks

Please check NVIDIA Jetson Linux Driver Package Software Features : Software Features | NVIDIA Docs

Hi Kayccc,
Does Jeston Xavier NX support mpeg2 hw decode?

The link you provide didn’t list mpeg2 decode, but i find MPEG-2 decode cmd on the following document.

MPEG-2 Decode (NVIDIA Accelerated Decode)

Hi,
Not all MPEG2 streams are supported. There is MPEG4 decoder which can decode most MPEG2 streams. Some stream is not supported.

Hi,
What kind of MPEG2 stream is not support?

Hi,
We would need your help to try the MJPEG2 streams. It either one cannot be decoded, please share the stream so that we check why it is not supported. Since the hardware decoder is mainly for MJPEG4, suggest try MPEG4 streams.

Hi,
The following link is the mpeg2 video.
https://asus-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/p/gary_gen/EaGi1Gvl10tMsYsPQALHipgB0GbEQWDH5ZFlWEpx6l57PQ?e=tXACUP
Could you help to check why this video can’t be played?
Thanks!

Hi,
It looks to be an issue in the stream itself. I also see defects while decoding through software decoder:

$ gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location= mpeg2_1080.mpeg ! mpegvideoparse ! avdec_mpegvideo ! xvimagesink

Hi,
I found another cmd can play video successfully.

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=mpeg2_1080.mpeg ! mpegpsdemux ! queue ! mpegvideoparse ! nvv4l2decoder ! nv3dsink -e

Hi,
So it looks like mpegpsdemux is missing. With it the stream can be decoded through hardware decoder nvv4l2decoder.

Hi
Yes, so my mpeg2 video can be hw decoded by nvv4l2decoder.
But i still don’t understand what kind of mpeg2 stream is not support.

Hi,
On latest releases we focus on H264/H265. In SQA tests, most video files are in H264/H265. Does not have full coverage for MPEG2 streams. If you have MPEG2 stream which is not playable, please share it so that we can check with our teams.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply!
And I have another question to ask you.
If i play video by using nvidia hw codec library like play use nvv4l2decoder to play mpeg2 stream.
Does mpeg2 require license? If yes do we need to pay license fees or Xavier NX has been payed license fees so we don’t need to play again.
Thanks~

Hi,
Yes, it should be same as H264 and H265. You would need to pay license fee to the organizations. Please check a similar post for H264/H265:
About H.264 /H.265license - #2 by DaneLLL

Hi,
We want to use Xavier NX for business uses and we would like to disable mpeg2 decoder in nvv4l2decoder.
Could you teach us how to remove mpeg2 decoder from gstreamer nvv4l2decoder library?

Hi,
Source code of gst-v4l2 is public. Please remove the part from gstv4l2videodec.c:

"video/mpeg, "
        "mpegversion= (int) [1, 2], "
        "systemstream=(boolean) false, "
        "parsed=(boolean) true, "
        "width=(gint) [1,MAX],"
        "height=(gint) [1,MAX]"
        ";"

And rebuild/replace libgstnvvideo4linux2.so

All source codes are in one package, please download the package from webpage of the release.

Hi,
I want to remove this part from gstv4l2videodec.c but can’t find it at gstv4l2videodec.c

"video/mpeg, "
        "mpegversion= (int) [1, 2], "
        "systemstream=(boolean) false, "
        "parsed=(boolean) true, "
        "width=(gint) [1,MAX],"
        "height=(gint) [1,MAX]"
        ";"

And refer to the Build Gstreamer Instructions it seems would not build libgstnvvideo4linux2.so.

Could you provide the nvvideo4linux2 plugin’s source code?

Thanks~

Hi,
The source code package is in
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra
L4T Driver Package (BSP) Sources

Hi,
Thank you for your help.
On Jeston platforms do Xavier NX, Nano and TX2 support the same hardware codecs?
It’s looks like Nano and Xavier NX build different libgstnvvideo4linux2.so.

Hi,
It is different. If you also have Jetson Nano, please download the Jetson Nano package.