Jetson Nano Boot Problems

What JetPack version are you using ?

Reflashing from SDKM without the SDCard inserted would probably give a fresh install, you would have to update and reinstall your own SW.

Note that since JP5.x.x UEFI support came and there might be a possibility to have different boot devices hosting early boot partitions and may be able to boot different L4T versions starting from JP5.

So the best way for your case may need some details about what release you’re using and what is your goal for cloning.
Basically if you’re just lacking disk space on eMMC it should be enough to clone the APP partition from eMMC into SDCard with rsync and then try adding a second extlinux config for trying booting to that rootfs, then using serial console (that seeds would have told how to setup), you would be able to try this new config and if ok set it as default. There might be additional steps for OTA upgrade, but should be enough for now.

Don’t know which jet pack, probably the latest one.

To be able to use SDK I. Need a computer with Ubuntu, which I don’t have, it’s not compatible with 18.04 LTS, and I can’t do it with terminal because the other nano I have that runs 18.04, it’s only 16gb and I can’t download the required files….

I have a perfect clone in a Sd Card, but the device won’t seek for another boot drive; only the eMMC, which have the extlinux.config file corrupted I guess.

I will contact seeed so they solve my problem, otherwise I will return the device to them.

Thanks!

Do you have any trace of the modifications made to your extlinux.conf ? and how you cloned ?

Ok, so I used this

When I finished, I opened the EXTLINUX.CONFIG from the SD card, and changed the root to boot from the sd (previously found the name was mmcblk1)
So what I did is change mmcblk1p1 (that’s eMMC) to mmcblk1 (SD).

Saved

And when I rebooted, nothing happened, only had the NVIDIA screen and the some texts .

So me said FAILED Another ones OK

failed ones:

FAILED TO START NETWORK NAME RESOLUTION
FAILED TO START HOSTNAME SERVICES
and then goes to a black screen forever….

Seems wrong, Not 100% sure for your case, but I would expect eMMC to be mmcblk0 (and mmcblk0p1 to be partition1 on that disk) and mmcblk1 to be SDCard.

P1 was there before touching anything, and that pointed out as eMMC.

In the Disks app, the SD card was shown as mmcblk1, that’s what I changed it for

mmcblk0 is a disk (eMMC) as mmcblk1 is a disk (SDCard).
mmcblk0p1 is partition 1 of eMMC, mmcblk1p1 is partition 1 of SD card.

Did you clone the whole disk or just APP partition ? Can you share what you did (exact edits/commands) ?
Sorry I don’t have experience with these seeds modules/SDK, you may get better support from them.

Don’t really know, I followed the guide, and all from the eMMC got cloned into the SD card, then I modified the config file for booting, and everything got complex…

As you’re having issues with a procedure from Seeds on a Seeds carrier board, you may want to post your issue to Seeds forum. I may only be able to help for general issues that can be reproduced on standard devkits.

Will do!

Once everything is solved, we can get back to the OBS and GoPro project!

Thanks bud

1 Like

If you get your OBS Studio software working let us know, it’d be a good addition to projects.

One comment is that if you have serial console to pick boot from you are better off leaving the original entry in place, and making an edited copy of the original entry. Then, with serial console, you could pick which entry to boot from. Once tested either entry could be made default.

For OBS, you may try this.

Thanks for the OBS build tip! At some point I will try this. In the past it seemed like there would be a lot of utility to be able to do things like make tutorials directly on a Jetson. One of the primary restrictions of course is to have enough disk space (build versus just install takes a lot more).

Hello!

So i contacted the people from seeed, and they are useless, in short, i have to install the OS again using SDK manager.

So i have triend everything, running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on my Lenovo Laptop, on my Mac book Pro, and even on my raspberry pi 4, i just cant install the SDK

It says there are dependancies (libconf -2-4 , libcanberra, etc, but this guys are obsolete when trying to install them on my system)

i just dont know what else to do, why is this so difficult!!!

please, if you have any idea on how to get this SDK running to flash my EMMC from the jetson, i will appreciate it!

thanks!

dont really know how… but i got the app running… i manually added APT so it installs the dependancies…

on my way to flashing the jetson! ill come back for the OBS project

thanks!

Guys

1 Question

i have already flased a new OS into the Nano EMMC, problem is that i only have 2 gb of free space.

I do have a SD Card slot and a 32 GB sd card.

Can i use this SD card for my Home files, and leave the EMMC for the system boot?

if yes, can you please help me with a detailed commands to do this? rememeber i am a total noob!

thanks

Some notes added in random order…

Note that SDK Manager only installs on a desktop PC architecture, so an RPi won’t work.

Also, when trying to boot to external media, then extlinux.conf can be complicated since the extlinux.conf now exists on both the eMMC (you said this is eMMC model, not SD-card-only dev kit model) and the alternate boot media, yet boot content might not look at the particular extlinux.conf which you expect (it is often useful to keep an eMMC boot target, mmcblk0p1, plus the alternate rootfs boot target in order to pick either one via serial console should boot parameters be wrong).

It is typically QSPI memory on the Jetson module itself which is used to pick which extlinux.conf is pointed at, and this is changed only by flash. Sometimes if a modification causes a boot issue, then it is something which was modified in QSPI, although it could also be something extlinux.conf points at. It is far easier to add extra storage at some mount point than it is to change all of rootfs. This is also why so often you will see instructions to flash again, and is also why booting to alternate media requires extra information compared to a desktop PC (which has a BIOS). Also, QSPI is why a Nano cannot use JetPack 5.x…5.x never updated for the Nano’s SoC to use the UEFI bootloader.

If you have a spare SD card (due to being an eMMC model), then you can easily partition this and mount it somewhere specific, typically somewhere like “/usr/local”, in which you might start by copying the existing “/usr/local/*” to the new partition prior to mounting it on “/usr/local”.

The earlier missing “libconf”, “libcanberra”, so on, are added by simple “apt” commands in most cases. Specialty NVIDIA items, such as CUDA, might be added this way as well if the apt configuration knows about those repositories. Older L4T releases did not have this, but even moderately recent releases do. Even so, these are often added through SDKM.

To see what is available with the current SD card I’ll recommend that while it is plugged in you run the command:
lsblk -f
(and post what you see)

Yes, the SD card can be used for “$HOME”, and it can also be used for “/usr/local”, which is where most CUDA development space is installed, and is a large part of disk consumption. A question though, if you are going to divide content, is where it might need to be split. To get an idea of that, run these commands and post the output (you need to replace the “$USER” with your actual user name…when you run sudo this alters it, and we’re interested in the unaltered user login account, not the one given in sudo):

sudo du -h -s $USER
sudo du -h -s /usr/local
df -H -T

Hey

so what i ended up doing is cloning my eMMC, into a SD card and then modifying the extlinux correctly, i now have my system in a 32GB card which is enough!

hoping i can count with you for my streaming obs project! i will be writing in this post:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/jetson-nano-live-stream-for-a-race-car/228907/8

Looks like this is the new topic URL since the old was closed from inactivity:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/jetson-nano-obs-live-streaming/230952

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.