Jetson Nano Model P3450 not showing COM port in headless mode

Hi,
I have an old Jetson Nano P3450 that I’m trying to set up in headless mode. I am following the official user guide here.
However, if I plug my monitor to it, I can see the GUI and Ubuntu 18.04 booting up to the log-in page. I completed the GUI based “first time boot” in the hopes that headless mode may be enabled afterwards but it didn’t.

Is there something extra that I have to do? I suspect the latest SD card image may not be 100% compatible with this board. Does anyone know if it is the case?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What COM port did you connect there?

Hi Wayne

That’s the thing. Device manager is not showing any COM ports whatsoever. There’s not even “unknown device”. The PC does not react to plugging or unplugging the USB.

I initially thought that I have a bad micro USB cable. I swapped multiple cables to find myself seeing the same symptom: board boots OK when connected to display. Is there a setting where the board defaults to GUI mode?

Hi,

That has nothing to do with GUI mode. There is nothing that console could only appear if GUI is disabled. No such rule.

I saw some points here to clarify first

1. You add a tag “UART” in the topic. However, the port you connect on Jetson is not a UART console.
    This website is talking about how to use the console from UART and this one is the most stable one to get access to board and also log.
    https://www.jetsonhacks.com/2019/04/19/jetson-nano-serial-console/

2. The micro usb port is basically a usb device mode thing. However, this one is not as stable as above UART port.
    If you want to check what is going on with this port, then you need to dump the log from the board (dmesg) and share it here for us to check.

I don’t care what method to dump log for (2) here. You could use ssh or even GUI to do this work. Or even set up the console from (1) to dump log is also good.

Include the following information:

• Is the “COM port” from a USB serial UART adapter? Or does this refer to the internal UARTs?
  • What is the output of:
    ls -l /dev/ttyS* /dev/ttyTHS*
  • If you monitor “dmesg --follow” to see logging as it appears, what shows up when you insert your USB device? What is the exact USB device?
  • Which USB port? Beware that the micro-OTG USB port is device mode only, and cannot accept USB devices (that port would require host mode, not device mode; there is always a host at one end, and a device at the other end).
  • Note that if the port you are using is the one used in serial console, then you cannot use this port without disabling serial console. Any activity on a serial console during boot could cause boot to pause and wait because the Jetson thinks this is a keyboard and you want to interrupt boot. Are any of the UARTs which are integrated into the Jetson (not USB UARTs) connected during boot?
  • Can you provide a full serial console boot log? It is advised to first remove any “quiet” in “/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf”.

Hello Wayne, linuxdev.

I apologize for a few things.
Firstly, I’m not sure how UART tag got added. I tried adding “optional tags” but the drop down menu never stayed up enough for me to search/choose a tag.
Secondly, I feel that I may not have divulged all the details that led to some assumptions with you folks. The title is misleading as well. My “host PC” is a windows laptop and Jetson is the device I want connected to my host PC in headless mode. I am following the official user guide that I tagged in my original post; specifically the section “Initial setup headless mode”. I have my Jetson powered up with a 5v 4A power supply, and the micro USB is connected to one of my host PC’s USB ports. I allowed one minute for Jetson to boot, but I did not see any COM port assigned in ‘Device Manager’ in my windows machine.
To check if I flashed a valid image in Jetson’s SD card, I hooked it up with a monitor to see it properly booting up to the Ubuntu login page. But still no COM port in my host PC device manager.
I can figure out and pull the dmesg log as well as the output of /dev/ttS* out from Jetson, if that is needed.

Hope I cleared all doubts and assumptions related to my setup.

Thanks

Yes, I know your COM port from micro usb port is not shown.

What I am telling is I need you to help dump the log from Jetson so that I can check why COM port is not there… And previous comment provides several methods for you to access the board so that you can dump log…
What linuxdev said was also similar.

Hello Wayne,

Here’s the dmesg log from Jetson.

dmesg_log.txt (63.5 KB)

Do you have other ubuntu host PC that can test? I see the usb port seems having activity w.r.t the cable hotplug.

[ 4.956691] tegra-xudc-new 700d0000.xudc: exiting ELPG
[ 4.957489] tegra-xudc-new 700d0000.xudc: exiting ELPG done
[ 4.957506] tegra-xudc-new 700d0000.xudc: ep 0 (type: 0, dir: out) enabled
[ 4.957536] tegra-xudc-new 700d0000.xudc: entering ELPG
[ 4.957873] tegra-xudc-new 700d0000.xudc: entering ELPG done
[ 4.957891] tegra-xudc-new 700d0000.xudc: exiting ELPG
[ 4.958633] tegra-xudc-new 700d0000.xudc: exiting ELPG done
[ 4.958645] tegra-xudc-new 700d0000.xudc: entering ELPG
[ 4.958994] tegra-xudc-new 700d0000.xudc: entering ELPG done
[ 4.963616] l4tbr0: port 1(rndis0) entered blocking state
[ 4.963619] l4tbr0: port 1(rndis0) entered disabled state
[ 4.964372] device rndis0 entered promiscuous mode
[ 4.975776] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): rndis0: link is not ready
[ 4.982858] l4tbr0: port 2(usb0) entered blocking state
[ 4.982861] l4tbr0: port 2(usb0) entered disabled state
[ 4.983038] device usb0 entered promiscuous mode

Sadly no.
I can make the current host PC dual boot to Ubuntu if it helps. Should I flash 18.04 or go with the latest?

For Jetson nano future usecase, 18.04 should be better.

Hi Wayne, I installed ubuntu in my host PC but jetson still won’t show up as a tty* port when I look for ls/dev/tty*

I also monitored dmesg of the host pc while I rebooted jetson and nothing

Could you take a photo of the board you are using?

Could you check if any new log printed from host dmesg and jetson dmesg when you hotplug the usb cable?

Does this cable work on other kind of board/device?

Hi Wayne,
Here are the photos of the board.

Regarding dmesg, Jetson prints new messages when I plug in the micro USB. But host PC does not print anything whatsoever in “Dmesg --follow”

Do you have other host PC to test? Especially a ubuntu host.

Hi Wayne. Getting a ubuntu host would be hard. Would another windows host do?

Actually we suggest the whole development of a Jetson device should be working along with another x86 ubuntu host PC.

All the document and tools are written based on that.

If we’re trying to see if the host PC USB is working or not, can’t we plug in another device(a phone) to the USB to check if it reacts to it? Is there any issue in the jetson dmesg that may indicate what’s going on?

Just to clarify.

I don’t guarantee Windows host PC USB device detection is fine as most of tests are based on Ubuntu host. The driver is different.

Honestly, if you don’t want to change host PC, then you don’t need to keep relying on USB device mode… As I already told in previous comment, there are still other methods that can be used for headless mode…

You mentioned you “completed the GUI based first time boot”. Is that valid for the Jetson you are currently testing? If so, then you should be able to get an ssh login to that account.

Which exact USB or header port are you using? Can you add another picture of the board with some indication of the exact place on the Jetson that this connects?

1 Like