Jetson Nano running at low frame rate with CSI sensor

I have an application where I want to run CSI sensors at low frame rate. When using gstreamer and nvarguscamerasrc, I can set the frame rate for the imx219 sensor down to 2 fps. An application that directly opens the device and uses ioctl and VIDIOC_DQBUF to pull buffers works at 5 fps or high but fails to dequeue buffers when the frame rate is less than 5 fps. I get the same behavior whether the device is opened in blocking or non-blocking mode.

I run the argus_camera without problem to set the frame rate to 2fps.
Suggest reference to MMAPI to implement it.

argus_camera --framerate=2 --kpi
Executing Argus Sample Application (argus_camera)
Argus Version: 0.98.3 (multi-process)
PerfTracker: app initial 595 ms
PerfTracker 1: app intialized to task start 570 ms
PerfTracker 1: task start to issue capture 48 ms
PerfTracker 1: first request 748 ms
PerfTracker 1: total launch time 1963 ms
PerfTracker 1: frameRate 2.01 frames per second at 0 Seconds
PerfTracker: display frame rate 2.05 frames per second
PerfTracker 1: framedrop current request 0, total 0
PerfTracker 1: latency 92 ms average, min 90 max 94
PerfTracker: display frame rate 2.00 frames per second
PerfTracker 1: flush takes 1698 ms

The interface that argus_camera uses is significantly different so somewhat difficult to change the existing application.

The ioctl and VIDIOC_DQBUF method is used in the “12_camera_v4l2_cuda” and “v4l2cuda” samples so I assume that this method is still somewhat recommended. These samples exhibit the same problem when the frame rate is below 5 fps. Any suggestion on buffering issue through this interface?

My application requires simultaneous capture on three cameras with 12-bit bayer format. The required processing prevents me from directly using the ISP.

If I need to rewrite the front end of the acquisition to this different method, I have a few questions:
Does this API attempt to use the ISP for each camera (which would be a problem for three cameras)?
Any problems with getting the raw 12-bit data?
Does this API have the same 3 image ring buffer issue mentioned in The timestamp of vi5 capture dqueue is always two frames later than capture enqueue.

First you need to confirm the sensor able to configure the FPS as lower as your request.
And then you can check the vi2_fops.c to modify the timeout to try.

Thanks for the reference on vi2_fops.c. I will investigate this.

Any comments on my questions regarding the argus interface and potential issues:

1. Yes, Argus use ISP for each cameras.
  2. No
  3. No, but 3A need 4 - 5 frames latency

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.