Jetson TX2- running 8 cameras via TI ds90ub960

Hello,

I have a carrier board designed which will interface the Jetson TX2 with two TI ds90ub960 quad deserializers.
Each deserializer will be connected to the TX2’s CSI inputs (4 lane each) and up to 4 FPD-Link III cameras for a total of 8.
I see reference to the Jetson TX2 supporting a max of 6 cameras with 2 lanes but was assuming this was in reference to the maximum number CSI interfaces available.

Can someone confirm that the configuration I have planned will be valid allowing use of 8 cameras.

Thanks

hello lpoirier,

you’re correct that 6 cameras (2-lane) were Jetson-TX2’s maximum supported camera numbers.
also, Jetson-TX2 is able to support three 4-lane cameras.
you could check these details in the [Tegra X2 (Parker Series SoC) Technical Reference Manual]

suppose you connect four 1-lane cameras to serializer-A, and deserializer-A playing as Tegra’s CSI-A input.
others four 1-lane cameras connect to serializer-B, and also deserializer-B as CSI-B input.
in addition, you might have your own implementation to combine four 1-lane sensors as serializer input, -OR- you might have some implementation to let serializer to handle these four 1-lane camera sources and outputting a continuous 4-lane signaling.

in this scenario,
since there are two 4-lane deserializer input to Tegra side. Tegra will consider there are two 4-lane sensor as camera sources.
thanks

Hi JerryChang,

Thank you for the information.

Looking at the [Tegra X2 (Parker Series SoC) Technical Reference Manual] section 28.1.1 describes the Virtual Channel Interleaving available to NVCIS. This description says up to 12 cameras are supported.

Reading further down section 28.1.1.1 says
“NVCSI provides a combination host that supports both the D-PHY v1.2 and the C-PHY v1.0 physical layer option, with three 4-lane, six 2-lane, or 6 1-lane configurations. Each lane can support up to four VCs and supports data type interleaving.”
This section leads me to believe I could support 24 cameras max by running 6 quad deserializers at 1-lane CSI with VCs, is this valid?

I am wondering if I could increase the number of quad deserializers to 4 by running a combination of 2x-4lane csi and 2x-2lane csi in order to reach 16 cameras?
Would a combination having 4 quad deserializers running, 4 cameras per CSI-A(4lane), CSI-B(4lane), CSI-C(2lane ) and CSI-D(2lane) work?

hello lpoirier,

To be honest, we did not test the maximum support sensors via “serializers/deserializers”
you should note that there’s only six pixel parser engines, that means the maximum input sources (2-lane) to CSI is six.
thanks

Hi JerryChang,

The [Tegra X2 (Parker Series SoC) Technical Reference Manual] states that each pixel parser can interleave up to four image streams but Table 366 only shows the number of streams increased to 12 from the previous version.

Following the table using three quad deserializes connected to the TX2s 3x 4lane CSI seems to be the safest option.

Thank you.

Hy lpoirier,

I am curious to know how many cameras you could integrate with TX2. I am also stuck in similar situation and you experience would help me a lot.

I am trying to know optimal number of GMSL cameras (or FPD III interface) that i can support with TX2 (or xavier). I want longer coax cables (> 10m) with FAKRA Connectors. Please suggest me a carrier board too.

Thanks

Hello muhammadsafdar574,

The Number of camera you can support will depend on the type of deserializers you are using for connecting the cameras to the TX2.
The answer provided by JerryChang above shows that there are only 6x pixel parser engines, which allows the TX2 to support up to 6x 2-lane devices.

Section 28.1.1.1 in the [Tegra X2 (Parker Series SoC) Technical Reference Manual] says:
“NVCSI provides a combination host that supports both the D-PHY v1.2 and the C-PHY v1.0 physical layer option, with three 4-lane, six 2-lane, or 6 1-lane configurations. Each lane can support up to four VCs and supports data type interleaving.”

I believe this supports JerryChang’s answer of 6x devices max and also shows that each lane can support up to 4x cameras when using a Quad-deserializer such as Maxim Integrated MAX9286 Quad GMSL Deserializer. This should allow the TX2 to support up to 24x cameras when using these Deserializers.

The custom carrier board I am working on is not yet fabricated so I have not been able to test any of this yet to verify the information.

Regards,
lpoirier