Modified extlinux.conf, boot fails

Hello,

I am using a custom board with xavier nx 165 GB, tested a lot of flashing, had success with booting etpack 5.01, but missed modules to work, Did configured the nvme0n1 boot, was fine so far. After that I flashed jetpack 4.6 with kernel patches for the board to emmblkp1. The boot up was fine, modules seems to be loaded. I was wondering why the nvme0n1 was used, all the apps installed were still there.
My mistake: I edited /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and inserted /dev/mmcblkp1. Now the System hangs on boot up and no flash afterwards brings the system back again.

What should I do to get the system running again.

Greetings
Stefan

By default on jp4.6, nvme has higher boot priority than emmc. Thus, if you connect a NVMe, it will be chosen to be boot device.

To debug your issue, dump your boot log and attach it.

Hi ! How do I get the boot log from the jetson device? I flased via commandline, and the boot process breaks really soon. Is there another way to debug? The hdmi monitor connection is only sometimes there, and very often only blanked.

Hi,

You should check the website I posted… you don’t have any other method to dump log except the method I shared.

Oh okay, I have overseen it.
Unfortunately I have a custom board . GPIO interface isn’t soldered on yet.

Then there is no method to help here.

If the board is made by yourself, please get the UART pin out. If this is from some board vendor, please contact them for the pin info.

OK, I will contact them. Thx so far!

Hi WayneWWW!
One statement to the initial problem: some minutes ago I have successfully flashed with 5.01 on nvme via sdkmanager. And, the system boots up, hdmi connection ok, initial setup is running, now installing via usb the sdk components.
so far so good. At that point, how do I flash and boot the system from bottom up with 4.6 starting with mmcblkp1?

stefan@ubuntu:~$ sudo cat /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
[sudo] password for stefan:
TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT primary

MENU TITLE L4T boot options

LABEL primary
MENU LABEL primary kernel
LINUX /boot/Image
FDT /boot/dtb/kernel_tegra194-p3668-0000-p3509-0000.dtb
INITRD /boot/initrd
APPEND ${cbootargs} root=PARTUUID=2bf37658-fedf-4ad3-ade1-f4c10a9abda5 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyTCU0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0 nv-auto-config

Hi,

What are you trying to do exactly? Cross version boot is not validated and supported here.

JP5 and JP4 have large difference and we don’t support this case.

I want a fresh System with jetpack 4.6 on nvme. Now I have a 5.01 on the nvme.

Are you sure you are telling a consistent request here? I really don’t understand what you want to do here.

minutes ago I have successfully flashed with 5.01 on nvme via sdkmanager. And, the system boots up, hdmi connection ok, initial setup is running, now installing via usb the sdk components.
so far so good. At that point, how do I flash and boot the system from bottom up with 4.6 starting with mmcblkp1?

Your previous command sounds like you want to flash jp4.6 with mmcblkp1, but now you want to flash jp4.6 on NVMe.

If you just want to flash nvme, then why do you mention mmcblkp1?

If you just want to flash nvme with old jetpack, just let sdkmanager choose nvme and jp4.6. If sdkmanager does not support it in that version, then please refer to initrd_flash in the developer guide document.

I am sorry for the mixed informations.

1. Initiallly I had a broken system, no boot possible. → I made the post here.
  2. During the posts in this topic I tried to “reanimate” the system, and I had success in booting the system again. my luck.
  3. Now, I want to have a fresh install of 4.6 with boot from nvme.

Then just follow my previous comments…

If you just want to flash nvme with old jetpack, just let sdkmanager choose nvme and jp4.6. If sdkmanager does not support it in that version, then please refer to initrd_flash in the developer guide document.

OK. Thank you!

And yes, sdkmanager does not flash 4.6 on nvme.
Do you have a link for me to the initrd-developer guide?

10:19:11 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 0.0423 ] tegrarcm_v2 --listrcm rcm_list.xml --chip 0x19 0 --sfuses sfuse.bin --download rcm /data2/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.6_Linux_JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/mb1_t194_prod_sigheader.bin 0 0
10:19:11 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 0.0468 ] RCM 1 is saved as rcm_1.rcm
10:19:11 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 0.0495 ] Assuming zero filled SBK key
10:19:11 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 0.0627 ] tegrarcm_v2 --chip 0x19 0 --updatesig rcm_list_signed.xml
10:19:11 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 0.0670 ] RCM version 0X190001
10:19:13 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 2.0889 ] tegrarcm_v2 --isapplet
10:19:13 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 2.1410 ] tegrahost_v2 --chip 0x19 0 --updatesigheader nvtboot_applet_t194_sigheader.bin.encrypt nvtboot_applet_t194_sigheader.bin.hash zerosbk

10:19:13 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 2.1487 ] Sending mb2

10:19:13 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 2.1487 ] […] 100%

10:19:13 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 2.1681 ] tegrarcm_v2 --boot recovery

10:19:13 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 2.1692 ] Applet version 01.00.0000

10:19:14 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 3.1808 ] tegrarcm_v2 --isapplet

10:19:14 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 3.1911 ] tegrarcm_v2 --ismb2

10:19:14 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 3.2271 ] MB2 Applet version 01.00.0000

10:19:14 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 3.2688 ] tegrarcm_v2 --ismb2
10:19:14 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 3.2749 ] MB2 Applet version 01.00.0000
10:19:16 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ 3.2842 ]
10:19:16 ERROR: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: command terminated with error
10:19:16 SUMMARY: DateTime Target Setup - target: Depends on failed component

https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/l4t-archived/l4t-3261/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/flashing.html#wwpID0E0PI0HA

Hi Wayne,
After unmounting (physical) of the nvme, the system starts up from emmc when flashed with “sudo ./flash.sh jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-emmc mmcblk0p1”.
When putting afterwards the nvme back on the board, the system hangs up on boot.

Question: How can I prevent from booting from nvme? (Background: I have no second device with an interface for the nvme ssd). Now I have to format the ssd again.

Hi Wayne,
After unmounting (physical) of the nvme, the system starts up from emmc when flashed with “sudo ./flash.sh jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-emmc mmcblk0p1”.
When putting afterwards the nvme back on the board, the system hangs up on boot.

Question: How can I prevent from booting from nvme? (Background: I have no second device with an interface for the nvme ssd). Now I have to format the ssd again.

Search “cbo.dts” in the adaptation guide document. It will teach you how to change the boot priority.

1 Like

Managed it, thanks. Solved.