Failed to flash jetpack 5.0.2 to nvme on jetson xavier nx 16 gb module (reComputer J2012)

I’m using sdkmanager to flash jetpack image to the nvme.
Installed on reComputer J2012 carrier board.
Host machine is ubuntu 20.04
I want to achieve boot natively on the nvme, but failed like 7 times.
The error log that i find important is as follows.

02:53:27 ERROR: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: Error: Could not stat device /dev/nvme0n1 - No such file or directory.
02:53:27 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: Cleaning up...
02:53:27 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: [ Component Install Finished with Error ]
02:53:27 ERROR: Flash Jetson Xavier NX - flash: command terminated with error
02:53:27 SUMMARY: DateTime Target Setup - target: Depends on failed component

Few hints that might find useful

1. I can flash and boot on 16 GB sd card and boot without issue.
  2. When boot into the system, I have to format ssd to ext4, and manually edit mount option, uncheck the default session to make it mount every time when booting. Without this configuration, it seems it can’t be mounted.
  3. I have switch to another nvme ssd, but currently i only have multiple SSD from the same brand.
    The SSD: WD Blue SN570 500GB.
  4. I can make root on nvme, by using jetsonhacks script “rootOnNVMe” on github, but I still want to make it not boot through the sd card.

Putting one of the log here.
SDKM_logs_JetPack_5.0.2_Linux_for_Jetson_Xavier_NX_modules_2022-08-17_02-09-03.zip (174.6 KB)

Hi,

So it is not a nv devkit?

There’s no 16 GB ram version of Xavier NX dev kit right?
How to know if it’s a dev kit or not?
The only thing i know its from reComputer J2012, and I’m not switching any hardware except the nvme ssd.

Ok, i think i figured it out,
it’s not a dev kit.
Its jetson Xavier nx 16GB module.
Installed on the seeed carrier board.
So how do i flash to the nvme ssd

When you boot up into system with nvme connected, will you see /dev/nvme0n1 ?

As the first post stated, i have to first manually set up in order to get it afterward.
Now i boot in the nvme did get mount.

“When boot into the system, I have to format ssd to ext4, and manually edit mount option, uncheck the default session to make it mount every time when booting. Without this configuration, it seems it can’t be mounted.”

Yes, but is that nvme device “/dev/nvme0n1”? but not something else?

Yes

There are multiple users reporting flash problem on jp5.0.2. We will check if this is a bug first.

1 Like

If there’s any update, please notify me if possible.

As having the same system I am holding off for the moment to update to 5.0.2 but I wanted to give some feedback on this thread.

First off you mention your host machine is 20.04, the wiki from seeedstudio mentions :
‘In the instructions for using NVIDIA SDK Manager provided on NVIDIA’s website, there is mention of being able to use NVIDIA SDK Manager with Ubuntu 20.04. However, from our actual tests, the installation could not be completed, so we removed this option from the supported systems.’

found here : A20X Carrier Boards Serials Getting Started - Seeed Wiki

Second, you mention rootOnNVMe, I used this too when the Jetpack version was still on 4.6.* but when I upgraded to jetpack 5.0.1 with the sdkManager I could select what device to flash (and boot from?)
Is that option still available and did you select it?

And finally, did you add the jumper wire to set the board to recovery mode as mentioned?

@WayneWWW since my system is still on 5.0.1 I could run some checks for you to examine what’s going on.

I have 4 options that i can choose to where to flash: “sd/eMMc , nvme, usb, custom”
Also i did short the 9th and 10th pin to boot in force recovery mode.

TBH, I’m kinda regret using nvidia jetson to develop stuff, most of the time just spending non-productive process like this, which is really depressing.

ok that all seems fine. Do you have an actual SD card or an eMMC as mentioned by seeedstudio.

I feel what you are saying, learned the hard way to first investigate before going into updates like these.
There is a saying ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it’

but other then firmware updates I like the platform

I thinks it’s eMMc, there’s no actual micro-sd slot that I can insert in

1 Like

I can confirm that I have an NVIDIA Xavier NX Dev. Kit with a Samsung EVO970 NVMe SSD in it. This disk worked fine using the rootOnNVMe scripts and the kernel works fine with it on JetPack 4.6.1. I absolutely cannot, no matter what I do, get sdkmanager 1.8.1.10392 to flash JetPack 5.0.2 to this configuration from an Ubuntu 20.04 laptop.

I CAN get JetPack 5.0.2 to flash onto a uSD card on the exact same board. But, this is not my goal. My goal is to boot from NVMe directly and be on the Ubuntu 20.04 environment.

Here are the logs for attempt ~10 of this process. This time (for laughs) I selected Xavier NX instead of Xavier NX dev-kit. It doesn’t work no matter what I select. Drive worked fine with JetPack 4.6.1.

SDKM_logs_JetPack_5.0.2_Linux_for_Jetson_Xavier_NX_modules_2022-08-21_16-19-28.zip (244.2 KB)

Additional incidental information: While doing this flashing the NX heatsink gets hotter than I have ever felt and the fan never runs. Again, was using this hardware just fine before JetPack 5.

Hi,

There are multiple users here so that I don’t want to prevent confusion here. Could everyone just replies me below quetsion

1. Is your carrier board a NV devkit?

2. Was your board able to get nvme flashed by sdkmanager even in jp4.6.1 or jp5.0.1? Please be aware that I don’t need the result from “rootOnNVMe”. That tool does not really flash anything to nvme. What it is doing has nothing to do with sdkmanager flashing.

3. Please share the same sdkm log as toddpack doing here.

Hi,

1. Is your carrier board a NV devkit?
No, I’m using a Seeed A206 board.
2. Was your board able to get nvme flashed by sdkmanager even in jp4.6.1 or jp5.0.1?
Yes, I was able to flash directly to NVMe with these JP versions.
3. Please share the same sdkm log as toddpack doing here.
Sorry, I deleted the logs.

But I installed JP 5.0.2 to NVMe via command line with l4t_initrd_flash.sh without problems. The only thing I did manually was to adjust the number of sectors of the SSD inside flash_l4t_nvme.xml (line <device type="nvme" instance="0" sector_size="512" num_sectors="1000215216">).