Need help restoring nvzramconfig.service back to normal

Hi,

am New to working with Jetson Nano, please let me know if this is something simple or stupid,

I am in possession of a NVIDIA Jetson Nano board, board ref is t210, the memory is of 4GB. Am using L4T 32.7 based on Ubuntu 18.04?

I was trying to increase the swap memory of my board after it failed to build a Intel Librealsense.

I am using a flashed microSD card (32GB) as my one and only filesystem.

I followed the tutorial provided by JetsonHacks: https://jetsonhacks.com/2019/11/28/jetson-nano-even-more-swap/

In my haste, I didn’t follow the procedure of using an external USB and mount it to the /etc/fstab and use it as a root filesystem. So when i hastily skipped this step, and started making changes on /etc/systemd/nvzramconfig.sh.

I received warnings when using gedit not to do so but ignored it. After doing so, I was not able to view the zramctl nor are the 4 zram RAM devices that my CPU’s use detected either in /dev or anywhere else.

I used

systemctl list-units

and noticed that the nvzramconfig.service is loaded but not active (failed)

trying,

free -h

does not provide any swap devices listed, whereas earlier it would do so

trying systemctl,

sudo systemctl [restart/reload/start] nvzramconfig.service

does not work.

I just want to restore the initial zram configuration on the device as it came with installation and flashing the sd card clean for a new L4T 32.7 is not an option as I have too many ROS dependencies to monitor that are undocumented.

Please help me asap,
Thank You

Hi,
It looks like the rootfs is corrupted. It may not be easy to be recovered. We would still suggest re-flash the system. You may work out a script based on default system image. So that after re-flashing, you can simply run the script to construct the environment.

1 Like

Hey, thank you for the reply. is there no real option beyond re-flashing?

I’m not against it but it would require me to go through a lot of effort on rebuilding my ROS1 folder. (Issues of deprecated software could create a lot of gaps and inconsistencies).

Could you please help me poke around and try and fix the rootfs issue?

I will also in the meantime take a backup of my workspace as well

Hey, additionally, could you please help me in understanding the default ZRAM configuration once a Jetson Nano Developer kit is freshly booted?

I understand that 4 device files are created in the /dev folder and it creates a script

nvzramconfig.sh

in

/etc/systemd

and

nvzramconfig.service

in

/etc/systemd/multi-user.target.wants/

what else am I missing? I wish to understand how the swap memory is assigned in the main rootfs partition and any other relevant information,

if this is there in the documentation could you please guide me to that?

I’m also interested in knowing if there is any way to avoid facing the issue I encountered instead of having to clean wipe the SD card and re-flash the jetson, please let me know

Hi,
This would see if other users can share experience. Generally we would suggest leave it as default and not to touch the service. Since the default setting is validated in SQA test coverage.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.