New to CUDA, simple kernel gives output of zero

I’m a programmer new to CUDA, looking to use GPGPU in a certain embarrassingly parallel problem I’m working on. I recently found out that my crappy integrated Geforce 8200 chipset actually supports CUDA, so I installed drivers for it, hooked up a second display, installed the SDK and examples, and actually got the example apps to run on the hardware.

Next, I tried following a tutorial to get a simple floating point benchmark running. It’s a program I write and use all the time, in various languages, using different compilers and optimization techniques, to see what kind of performance each system offers. The program is a (slow and inaccurate) Monte Carlo method of calculating pi, which is heavily dependent on floating point performance. I love this problem for benchmarking because it’s easy to write, and embarrassingly parallel.

So I wrote a version of this program using CUDA, and the API has been surprisingly easy to learn and use, I must say. However, I have run into a confusing problem. Whenever I run my application, the output from the GPU is always an array full of zeros. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong here, and I would greatly appreciate the advice of people more experienced in this.

#include <iostream>

#include <stdio.h>

#include <cuda.h>

#include <ctime>

#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

__global__ void withinCircle(float* x, float* y, float* out, unsigned int num)

{

int idx = blockIdx.x * blockDim.x + threadIdx.x;

out[idx] = sqrt((x[idx] * x[idx]) + (y[idx] * y[idx]));

}

int main()

{

unsigned int iterations = 100000000;

srand(time(NULL));

// Host pointers

float *randomX, *randomY, *out; 

// Device pointers

float *gRandomX, *gRandomY, *gOut;

randomX = new float[iterations];

randomY = new float[iterations];

out = new float[iterations];

cudaMalloc((void**) &gRandomX, iterations);

cudaMalloc((void**) &gRandomY, iterations);

cudaMalloc((void**) &gOut, iterations);

for(unsigned int i = 0; i < iterations; i++)

{

randomX[i] = (rand() / (float)RAND_MAX);

randomY[i] = (rand() / (float)RAND_MAX);

}

cout << "Finished generating random input." << endl;

cudaMemcpy(gRandomX, randomX, sizeof(float)*iterations, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

cudaMemcpy(gRandomY, randomY, sizeof(float)*iterations, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

cudaMemcpy(gOut, out, sizeof(float)*iterations, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

unsigned int blockSize = 4;

unsigned int numBlocks = iterations/blockSize + (iterations % blockSize == 0 ? 0 : 1);

withinCircle<<< numBlocks, blockSize >>>(gRandomX, gRandomY, gOut, iterations);

cudaThreadSynchronize();

cudaMemcpy(out, gOut, sizeof(float)*iterations, cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);

unsigned int hits = 0;

for(int i = 0; i < iterations; i++)

{ 

cout << out[i] << endl;

hits += (out[i] <= 1.0f) ? 1 : 0;

}

delete [] randomX;

delete [] randomY;

delete [] out;

cudaFree(gRandomX);

cudaFree(gRandomY);

cudaFree(gOut);

cout << (iterations/(float)hits)*4 << endl;

return 0;

}

Cheers.

EDIT: Oops, just realized this might have been better off in a different forum. I’m closing this topic and moving it to the general CUDA discussion forum. Sorry for the mix up.