nvcc cannot recognize .cpp file when located in the homedir of the .cpp file

I’m facing a problem with the nvcc when trying to compile one of the cuda samples (deviceQuery.cpp).
It seems as my nvcc does not look in the folder that it is currently located in.
My os is Windows 10.

Test1: (I have also tried to replace deviceQuery.cpp with ./deviceQuery.cpp which resulted in the same error).
C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v8.0\1_Utilities\deviceQuery>nvcc -c deviceQuery.cpp
nvcc warning : The ‘compute_20’, ‘sm_20’, and ‘sm_21’ architectures are deprecated, and may be removed in a future release (Use -Wno-deprecated-gpu-targets to suppress warning).
deviceQuery.cpp
c1xx: fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: ‘deviceQuery.cpp’: No such file or directory

Test2: (Specifying the full path to the deviceQuery.cpp file seems to work).
C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v8.0\1_Utilities\deviceQuery>nvcc -c “C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v8.0\1_Utilities\deviceQuery\deviceQuery.cpp”
nvcc warning : The ‘compute_20’, ‘sm_20’, and ‘sm_21’ architectures are deprecated, and may be removed in a future release (Use -Wno-deprecated-gpu-targets to suppress warning).
deviceQuery.cpp
C:/ProgramData/NVIDIA Corporation/CUDA Samples/v8.0/1_Utilities/deviceQuery/deviceQuery.cpp(20): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘helper_cuda.h’: No such file or directory

Any suggestions of why my nvcc does not look in the current folder where I’m trying to compile from (Test1)?