Nvcc fatal: failed to preprocess host compiler properties

Hello,

I have a PC running a recent AMD CPU and RTX 2080 and Ubuntu 20.04.

I installed the Linux driver v11, CUDA 11 and cuDNN. All no issues. I ran nvcc and nvidia-smi. All good

But when I tried to verify the install of cuDNN by follow the “make clean && make”, I got the following error:

g++ no such file or directory
nvcc fatal: failed to preprocess host compiler properties
Freeimage is not set up correctly

Please help.

Thanks

Here is the exact error message:

FreeImage is not set up correctly. Please ensure FreeImage is set up correctly. <<<
[@] /usr/local/cuda/bin/nvcc -ccbin g++ -I/usr/local/cuda/include -I/usr/local/cuda/targets/ppc64le-linux/include -IFreeImage/include -m64 -gencode arch=compute_35,code=sm_35 -gencode arch=compute_50,code=sm_50 -gencode arch=compute_53,code=sm_53 -gencode arch=compute_60,code=sm_60 -gencode arch=compute_61,code=sm_61 -gencode arch=compute_62,code=sm_62 -gencode arch=compute_70,code=sm_70 -gencode arch=compute_72,code=sm_72 -gencode arch=compute_75,code=sm_75 -gencode arch=compute_80,code=sm_80 -gencode arch=compute_80,code=compute_80 -o fp16_dev.o -c fp16_dev.cu
[@] g++ -I/usr/local/cuda/include -I/usr/local/cuda/targets/ppc64le-linux/include -IFreeImage/include -o fp16_emu.o -c fp16_emu.cpp
[@] g++ -I/usr/local/cuda/include -I/usr/local/cuda/targets/ppc64le-linux/include -IFreeImage/include -o mnistCUDNN.o -c mnistCUDNN.cpp
[@] /usr/local/cuda/bin/nvcc -ccbin g++ -m64 -gencode arch=compute_35,code=sm_35 -gencode arch=compute_50,code=sm_50 -gencode arch=compute_53,code=sm_53 -gencode arch=compute_60,code=sm_60 -gencode arch=compute_61,code=sm_61 -gencode arch=compute_62,code=sm_62 -gencode arch=compute_70,code=sm_70 -gencode arch=compute_72,code=sm_72 -gencode arch=compute_75,code=sm_75 -gencode arch=compute_80,code=sm_80 -gencode arch=compute_80,code=compute_80 -o mnistCUDNN fp16_dev.o fp16_emu.o mnistCUDNN.o -I/usr/local/cuda/include -I/usr/local/cuda/targets/ppc64le-linux/include -IFreeImage/include -L/usr/local/cuda/lib64 -L/usr/local/cuda/targets/ppc64le-linux/lib -lcublasLt -LFreeImage/lib/linux/x86_64 -LFreeImage/lib/linux -lcudart -lcublas -lcudnn -lfreeimage -lstdc++ -lm

I noticed that the error message points to /usr/local/cuda/targets/ppc64le-linux/include but there is no ppc64le-linux folder. Instead the folder name is x86_64-linux.

Is there something wrong with the mnistcudnn.cpp that I downloaded (come with the deb package) from nvidia.

Thanks

i had the same problem,solved by runing
“sudo apt-get --yes install build-essential”

2 Likes

On my computer, I think the problem is that my disk filled up. I’ll know more when I clean up a bit.