Obscure GCC error when compiling

I am running on Linux with nvcc version

nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Thu_Nov_17_17:40:36_PST_2011
Cuda compilation tools, release 4.1, V0.2.1221

I am trying to compile this code called chapter2.cu with the command nvcc chapter2.cu

#include <cuda.h>

int main()
{
float* Md;
return 0;
}

and when I run nvcc with verbose I get this error

#$ SPACE=
#$ CUDART=cudart
#$ HERE=/usr/bin
#$ THERE=/usr/bin
#$ TARGET_SIZE=
#$ TOP=/usr/bin/…
#$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/bin/…/lib:/usr/bin/…/extools/lib:/usr/lib/mpich2/lib
#$ PATH=/usr/bin/…/open64/bin:/usr/bin/…/nvvm:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/mpich2/bin:/usr/lib/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/cs/student/arya/bin
#$ INCLUDES=“-I/usr/bin/…/include” “-I/usr/bin/…/include/cudart” /usr/include/cuda
#$ LIBRARIES=/usr/lib/cuda/lib “-L/usr/bin/…/lib” -lcudart
#$ CUDAFE_FLAGS=
#$ OPENCC_FLAGS=
#$ PTXAS_FLAGS=
#$ gcc -D__CUDA_ARCH__=100 -E -x c++ -DCUDA_FLOAT_MATH_FUNCTIONS -DCUDA_NO_SM_11_ATOMIC_INTRINSICS -DCUDA_NO_SM_12_ATOMIC_INTRINSICS -DCUDA_NO_SM_13_DOUBLE_INTRINSICS -D__CUDACC__ “-I/usr/bin/…/include” “-I/usr/bin/…/include/cudart” /usr/include/cuda -include “cuda_runtime.h” -m32 -malign-double -o “/tmp/tmpxft_000077fd_00000000-4_chapter2.cpp1.ii” “chapter2.cu”
gcc: fatal error: cannot specify -o with -c, -S or -E with multiple files
compilation terminated.

–error 0x4 –

I googled all over the place and I cannot figure out why I am getting this error. Can anyone clue me in on the problem? Any help is appreciated.

The problem does not reproduce for me with CUDA 4.1 final. What version of CUDA do you have installed, on what version of Linux? The November build date of the compiler shown in your output does not match CUDA 4.1 final. Based on the -D flags passed to gcc it looks like you might be invoking either a very old compiler, or are possibly invoking the compiler with other than default settings.