openGL issues

Hi,

I’m having issues getting the SDK examples that use openGL to compile. I’ve been able to successfully run and compile the examples that don’t use openGL (deviceQuery, bandwidthTest, blackScholes), but on examples that use openGL (fluidsGL ,particles, nbody), I get the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I think I have installed the correct openGL development packages, (libgl1-mesa-dev, libglut3-dev, freeglut3-dev) but I’m not sure of what else to install. A guy in another thread had a similar error until he ran the package updater, but that is not solving my problem. A missing package seems to be the most likely problem, as before I installed some of those packages, it could not find -lGLU. I’m running on Ubuntu 10.04, with a GT240 and GTX480 with the devdrivers off the cuda download page.

Thanks,
Steve

I think I’ve fixed it.

/usr/lib/libGL.so wasn’t linking to a valid target (mesa/libGL.so), so I tried linking it to libGL.so.1 in /usr/lib/, which seems to work, but I get intermittent instances where the gui freezes up when I try and interact with any of the openGL programs. I’ve since looked into mesa, and I haven’t installed the libgl1-mesa-swx11 packages (which mentions libGL.so - but appears to be a software rendering library), as it requires that I uninstall libgl1-mesa-glx, freeglut3, and ubuntu-desktop which seems like a bad idea.

The only downside is that nbody is running at around half of theoretical max performance (500 gflops) on the 480, but that could be caused by the dual card setup.

I think I’ve fixed it.

/usr/lib/libGL.so wasn’t linking to a valid target (mesa/libGL.so), so I tried linking it to libGL.so.1 in /usr/lib/, which seems to work, but I get intermittent instances where the gui freezes up when I try and interact with any of the openGL programs. I’ve since looked into mesa, and I haven’t installed the libgl1-mesa-swx11 packages (which mentions libGL.so - but appears to be a software rendering library), as it requires that I uninstall libgl1-mesa-glx, freeglut3, and ubuntu-desktop which seems like a bad idea.

The only downside is that nbody is running at around half of theoretical max performance (500 gflops) on the 480, but that could be caused by the dual card setup.