Overvolting?

Hi,

is it possible to overvolt a nVidia GeForce GTX 650 on Linux? I use the official nVidia driver 352.63 and I set the Coolbits option to 12.

Greetings,
Oebbler

Thank you!
When I set the Coolbits option to 16 as described in your link (in my case I replace 12 by 16) the overclocking settings and fan controlling settings are disabled and I can’t overvolt, too.
What should I do now?

This is how coolbits numbers work.

4(thermal monitor page will allow configuration of GPU fan speed)
+
8(allows setting per-clock domain and per-performance level offsets to apply to clock values)
+
16(the nvidia-settings command line interface allows setting GPU overvoltage)

28(potentially fried gpu)…

I’m not sure if all cards allow overvolting. I never tried, since I simply flashed my GTX 580 with a custom BIOS with increased memory and GPU clockspeeds and voltage.

Does

nvidia-settings --query all | grep -i voltage

Show GPUOverVoltageOffset? Since GPUCurrentVoltage is read-only and represents the current voltage I don’t think you can overvolt if it only shows that. Does GPUOverVoltageOffset show a positive range?

Now it works a bit. Thank you!
There’s shown the voltages are read-only values and they are all for performance level 0. But when I change the core clock of my graphics card I only change it in performance level 2 so I want to change the voltage in level 2 only, not in level 0. Is this possible?

No you can only change the highest performance state. Overclocking the idle, powersave states is unusual and not possible on Windows either with software like MSI Afterburner. For that you’d have to create a custom BIOS and flash it.

I only want to overvolt the highest performance level (on my computer it’s level 2) but I can only overvolt the lowest (level 0). What can I do to overvolt the highest performance level? I don’t want to flash a modified BIOS because it’s too dangerous if the voltages are too high.