Random "illegal memory accesses" with untiled 2D convolution algorithm

I have created an untiled 2D convolution algorithm that for some reason complains of illegal memory accesses - but only sometimes. The issue is, that the executable about 70% of the time runs perfectly fine, and then the other random 30% of the time it complains of an illegal memory access in line 99, where I copy the result array back to host DRAM. cuda-memcheck seems to reveal that in the aforementioned 30%, a number of consecutive threads all in the same block (with this phenomena occurring in multiple consecutive blocks) seem to have invalid global memory reads of float size (size 4). I don’t understand why this is. My indexing - as far as I can tell - seems to be correct. Help will be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: The same error occurs randomly with my tiled 2D convolution algorithm (in line 114 where again the result array is copied back to host DRAM) - though this time much less frequently - only 10% of the time my tiled algorithm will throw the illegal memory access error, with the same consecutive blocks and threads phenomena as with the untiled algorithm. The source code the the tiled algorithm will now be below.

Source code (untiled):

// include necessary libs
#include <cuda.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

// CUDA kernel function
__global__ void convolution_2D_Kernel(float* d_m, float* d_mask, float* d_n, size_t a, size_t b, size_t maskWidth)
{
    // define and initialize the variable that will be used for indexing
    int i = blockIdx.x * blockDim.x + threadIdx.x;
    int j = blockIdx.y * blockDim.y + threadIdx.y;

// define and initialize the variable that will allow the mask to align correctly with input array d_m
    // integer division is fine because it always truncates
    // we will only be using odd values for maskWidth anyway
    // the truncation of integer division will provide the perfect offset for aligning the centre element of the mask with the target d_m element
    int m_row = j - maskWidth / 2;
    int m_col = i - maskWidth / 2;

// iterate through all the elements in the mask
    // here's where the actual convolution operation will occur
    for(int k = 0; j < maskWidth; ++j)
    {
        for(int l = 0; l < maskWidth; ++l)
        {
            // this if statement is a boundary condition check
            // it checks whether the indexes needed for the convolution operation are within the bounds of the input array
            // if they are not
            // extra "ghost" elements past the beginning and end of the input array are used
            // these elements are set to 0 in our code
            // this ghost element stuff is done implicitly
            // as there is no need to do it explicitly, since 0 does not change the resulting element of the convolution operation on a specific element
            // we just leave the accumulating result of the convolution operation alone if the indexes are out of bounds
            if(m_row + l >= 0 && m_row + l < a && m_col + k >= 0 && m_col + k < b)
            {
                // if the boundary check is satisfied
                // then accumulate one part of the convolution operation to the result element of the result d_n array
                // the convolution operation is done column by column to allow the global memory accesses to be coalesced
                // this allows us to increase memory bandwidth
                d_n[i * b + j] += d_m[(m_row + l) * b + m_col + k] * d_mask[l * maskWidth + k];
            }
        }
    }
}

// error checking function - checks for CUDA errors
void errorCheck(unsigned int line)
{
    // get most recent CUDA error
    cudaError_t cudaError = cudaGetLastError();

// if error code wasn't a code describing success
    if(cudaError != cudaSuccess)
    {
        // output that there has been a CUDA error in the line of the CUDA function call
        // and exit the program
        printf("CUDA error in line %u in file %s: %s\n", line - 1, __FILE__, cudaGetErrorString(cudaError));
        exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
    }
}

// host function that calls the CUDA kernel
void convolution_2D(float* m, float* mask, float* n, size_t a, size_t b, size_t maskWidth)
{
    // define and initialize dimension variables containing data regarding the dimensions of the grid and the dimensions of each block
    dim3 numOfBlocks(ceil(b / 32.0), ceil(a / 32.0), 1);
    dim3 numOfThreads(32, 32, 1);

// define and initialize variables containing the number of bytes in each array
    size_t bytes_m = a * b * sizeof(float);
    size_t bytes_mask = maskWidth * maskWidth * sizeof(float);
    size_t bytes_n = a * b * sizeof(float);

// define the pointers that will point to the start of allocated device memory for each array
    float* d_m;
    float* d_mask;
    float* d_n;

// allocate global memory for each array on the device and check for CUDA errors
    cudaMalloc((void**) &d_m, bytes_m);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaMalloc((void**) &d_mask, bytes_mask);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaMalloc((void**) &d_n, bytes_n);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);

// copy the data of each array to allocated global memory on the device and check for CUDA errors
    cudaMemcpy(d_m, m, bytes_m, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaMemcpy(d_mask, mask, bytes_mask, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);

// call the CUDA kernel and check for CUDA errors
    convolution_2D_Kernel<<<numOfBlocks, numOfThreads>>>(d_m, d_mask, d_n, a, b, maskWidth);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);

// copy the data of the result array from global memory to host DRAM and check for CUDA errors
    cudaMemcpy(n, d_n, bytes_n, cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);

// free the allocated global memory and check for CUDA errors
    cudaFree(d_m);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaFree(d_mask);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaFree(d_n);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
}

int main()
{
    // define structs that will enable us to get the exec time of the program
    struct timespec start, end;

// get the details regarding the start time of this program and store it in the start struct
    clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, &start);

// initialize pseudo-random number generator with seed of current seconds since 01/01/1970
    srand(time(NULL));

// define and initialize dimension variables for each array
    // the input and result arrays have the same dimensions and thus share dimension variables
    size_t a = rand() % 257 + 3840;
    size_t b = rand() % 257 + 3840;
    size_t maskWidth = 2 * (rand() % 7 + 1) + 1;

// dynamically allocate DRAM memory for the arrays to account for them perhaps being too big to be statically allocated
    float* m = (float*) malloc(a * b * sizeof(float));
    float* mask = (float*) malloc(maskWidth * maskWidth * sizeof(float));
    float* n = (float*) malloc(a * b * sizeof(float));

// assign a pseudo-random integer value from -64 to 64 for each element in input array m
    for(int i = 0; i < a * b; ++i)
    {
        m[i] = rand() % 129 - 64;
    }

// assign a pseudo-random float value from 0 to 1 with a precision of 3 decimal places for each element in mask array
    for(int j = 0; j < maskWidth; ++j)
    {
    mask[j] =  rand() % 1001 / 1000.0;
    }

// perform 1D convolution operation on input array m using a given mask array
    convolution_2D(m, mask, n, a, b, maskWidth);

// get the details regarding the end time of this program and store it in the end struct
    clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, &end);

// calculate exec time in microseconds
    time_t execTime = (end.tv_sec - start.tv_sec) * 1000000 + (end.tv_nsec - start.tv_nsec) / 1000;

// output exec time
    printf("Execution time: %d microseconds.", execTime);

// exit program
    return 0;
}

Source code (tiled):

// include necessary libs
#include <cuda.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

// define constant BLOCK_WIDTH
#define BLOCK_WIDTH 32

// CUDA kernel function
__global__ void tiledConvolution_2D_Kernel(float* d_m, const float* __restrict__ d_mask, float* d_n, size_t a, size_t b, size_t maskWidth, int N_TILE_WIDTH)
{
    // define and initialize the variable where the resulting element of the convolution operation will be calculated and stored
    // this is to minimize writes to global memory
    // as automatic variables are stored in register memory
    float result = 0;

// define and initialize the variables that will be used for indexing - this is for brevity
    int n_row = blockIdx.y * N_TILE_WIDTH + threadIdx.y;
    int n_col = blockIdx.x * N_TILE_WIDTH + threadIdx.x;

int m_row = n_row - maskWidth / 2;
    int m_col = n_col - maskWidth / 2;

// define shared memory input array tile
    __shared__ float tile_m[BLOCK_WIDTH][BLOCK_WIDTH];

// if the input array index variables are within the bounds of the input array
    // then load the elements of d_m into their respective positions in the tile
    // otherwise just set the element of the tile to 0 (the element becomes a "ghost" element)
    if(m_row >= 0 && m_row < a && m_col >= 0 && m_col < b)
    {
        tile_m[threadIdx.y][threadIdx.x] = d_m[m_row * b + m_col];
    }
    else
    {
        tile_m[threadIdx.y][threadIdx.x] = 0;
    }

// sync all the threads in the block so faster threads don't work with uninitialized memory
    __syncthreads();

// only allow a certain amount of threads per block to participate in calculating the result variable
    // because we only need to calculate N_TILE_LENGTH elements
    // < and not <= because of 0-based indexing
    if(threadIdx.y < N_TILE_WIDTH && threadIdx.x < N_TILE_WIDTH)
    {
        // calculate value of result element
        for(int i = 0; i < maskWidth; ++i)
        {
            for(int j = 0; j < maskWidth; ++j)
            {
                result += d_mask[i * maskWidth + j] * tile_m[threadIdx.y + i][threadIdx.x + j];
            }
        }

// write result variable to corresponding element of result array
        d_n[n_row * b + n_col] = result;
    }
}

// error checking function - checks for CUDA errors
void errorCheck(unsigned int line)
{
    // get most recent CUDA error
    cudaError_t cudaError = cudaGetLastError();

// if error code wasn't a code describing success
    if(cudaError != cudaSuccess)
    {
        // output that there has been a CUDA error in the line of the CUDA function call
        // and exit the program
        printf("CUDA error in line %u in file %s: %s\n", line - 1, __FILE__, cudaGetErrorString(cudaError));
        exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
    }
}

// host function that calls the CUDA kernel
void convolution_2D(float* m, float* mask, float* n, size_t a, size_t b, size_t maskWidth, int N_TILE_WIDTH)
{
    // define and initialize dimension variables containing data regarding the dimensions of the grid and the dimensions of each block
    dim3 numOfBlocks(ceil(b / (float) N_TILE_WIDTH), ceil(a / (float) N_TILE_WIDTH), 1);
    dim3 numOfThreads(BLOCK_WIDTH, BLOCK_WIDTH, 1);

// define and initialize variables containing the number of bytes in each array
    size_t bytes_m = a * b * sizeof(float);
    size_t bytes_mask = maskWidth * maskWidth * sizeof(float);

// define the pointers that will point to the start of allocated device memory for each array
    float* d_m;
    float* d_mask;
    float* d_n;

// allocate global memory for each array on the device and check for CUDA errors
    // input bytes variable is used for result array because cuda-memcheck 0 errors but illegal memory accessboth arrays have the same length
    cudaMalloc((void**) &d_m, bytes_m);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaMalloc((void**) &d_mask, bytes_mask);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaMalloc((void**) &d_n, bytes_m);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);

// copy the data of each array to allocated global memory on the device and check for CUDA errors
    cudaMemcpy(d_m, m, bytes_m, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaMemcpy(d_mask, mask, bytes_mask, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);

// call the CUDA kernel and check for CUDA errors
    tiledConvolution_2D_Kernel<<<numOfBlocks, numOfThreads>>>(d_m, d_mask, d_n, a, b, maskWidth,  N_TILE_WIDTH);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);

// copy the data of the result array from global memory to host DRAM and check for CUDA errors
    cudaMemcpy(n, d_n, bytes_m, cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);

// free the allocated global memory and check for CUDA errors
    cudaFree(d_m);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaFree(d_mask);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
    cudaFree(d_n);
    errorCheck(__LINE__);
}

int main()
{
    // define structs that will enable us to get the exec time of the program
    struct timespec start, end;

// get the details regarding the start time of this program and store it in the start struct
    clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, &start);

// initialize pseudo-random number generator with seed of current seconds since 01/01/1970
    srand(time(NULL));

// define and initialize dimension variables for each array
    // the input and result arrays have the same dimensions and thus share dimension variables
    // int instead of size_t for result tile width because otherwise typecasting to float will cause errors in the host function that calls the kernel
    size_t a = rand() % 257 + 3840;
    size_t b = rand() % 257 + 3840;
    size_t maskWidth = 2 * (rand() % 7 + 1) + 1;

int N_TILE_WIDTH = BLOCK_WIDTH - (maskWidth - 1);

// dynamically allocate DRAM memory for the arrays to account for them perhaps being too big to be statically allocated
    float* m = (float*) malloc(a * b * sizeof(float));
    float* mask = (float*) malloc(maskWidth * maskWidth * sizeof(float));
    float* n = (float*) malloc(a * b * sizeof(float));

// assign a pseudo-random integer value from -64 to 64 for each element in input array m
    for(int i = 0; i < a * b; ++i)
    {
        m[i] = rand() % 129 - 64;
    }

// assign a pseudo-random float value from 0 to 1 with a precision of 3 decimal places for each element in mask array
    for(int j = 0; j < maskWidth * maskWidth; ++j)
    {
    mask[j] =  rand() % 1001 / 1000.0;
    }

// perform 1D convolution operation on input array m using a given mask array
    convolution_2D(m, mask, n, a, b, maskWidth, N_TILE_WIDTH);

// get the details regarding the end time of this program and store it in the end struct
    clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, &end);

// calculate exec time in microseconds
    time_t execTime = (end.tv_sec - start.tv_sec) * 1000000 + (end.tv_nsec - start.tv_nsec) / 1000;

// output exec time
    printf("Execution time: %d microseconds.", execTime);

// exit program
    return 0;
}

Regarding non-tiled:

1. This is evidently wrong:

for(int k = 0; j < maskWidth; ++j)

keep staring at it till you spot the error.

2. You are using round-up behavior to create your grid. This creates extra threads in i and j which you are not properly handling. You may be able to fix that by putting a thread-check like this in the beginning of your kernel code:

if ((i >= b) || (j >= a)) return;

3. i is evidently your x (horizontal) dimension. Therefore this indexing order is incorrect:

d_n[i * b + j]

it should be:

d_n[j * b + i]

4. For the remainder, begin your debug by changing this line:

d_n[j * b + i] += d_m[(m_row + l) * b + m_col + k] * d_mask[l * maskWidth + k];

to this:

if (j*b+i >= a*b) printf("i = %d, j = %d, a = %lu, b = %lu\n", i, j, a, b);
             else if ((m_row+l)*b + m_col+k >= a*b) printf("m_row = %d, l = %d, m_col = %d, k = %d, a = %lu, b = %lu\n", m_row, l,  m_col, k, a, b);
             else if (l*maskWidth+k >= maskWidth*maskWidth) printf("l = %d, maskWidth = %lu, k = %d\n", l, maskWidth, k);
             else
               d_n[j * b + i] += d_m[(m_row + l) * b + m_col + k] * d_mask[l * maskWidth + k];

and study the output.

I think if you apply step 4 in a similar fashion to your other kernel, you should be able to figure out the issues there.

1 Like

I’ve solved the issues - but I’m confused as to why a solution is even needed for my tiled kernel.
The issue that arises in my tiled kernel is where the result variable is written to d_n[n_row * n + n_col] - for some reason, n_row > a or n_col > b can sometimes be true - and I don’t understand how. Because surely the limitations of threadIdx.y < N_TILE_WIDTH and threadIdx.x < N_TILE_WIDTH should be enough to allow n_row and n_col to be within the boundaries of the result array? The definitions of n_row and n_col contain threadIdx.y and threadIdx.x respectively - and limiting these two - in theory - should work, so why doesn’t it?

Incorrect. You still don’t really understand the grid/block rounding up behavior, and the implications it has for valid threads in your grid. Because you are choosing random dimensions, it’s possible your last block could have only 1 valid thread in it. All other threads, many of which would pass your test against the tile width, could be invalid. See item 2 in my previous comment.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense - throughout my tiled algorithm I was assuming the tile width would fit perfectly with the sizes of the arrays. Thanks!