Reading serial works on first run ONLY

Hi Nvidia Community,

SETUP: I am using the Jetson AGX Orin Developer Kit and I am reading data from a microcontroller (Arduino). The Arduino is connected via USB cable and I am using python with the pyserial library. The microcontroller shows up properly as /dev/ttyACM0.

PROBLEM: On the first run everything works properly. On the second or third run no data can be received.

DEBUGGING:

• Only after unplugging and plugging the device back in it works again for one single time.
  • I see the same behavior when I use the Arduino IDE and the build in serial monitor tool.
  • It works fine on any other machine than the Orin.
  • It works fine on the USB-C port close to the power jack but all other USB ports show the behavior described above. Also when used with a hub on said USB-C I’m back to the behavior described above.
  • I observe similar behavior with an FTDI adapter that connects via USB.

Thank you so much for your attention and let me know if I can provide any further information.

Hi,
The 4 type-A ports in Orin developer kit are one set of embedded USB hub. Please try this and see if it works after hub off/on:
Power down USB ports - #4 by vsaw

Hi, I am experiencing this same issue with both a ORIN dev kit and ORIN module running in the following carrier board:

I will try this ‘turning it on and off again’ ‘fix’ once I get a chance however this issue does not exist on the alternative Intel NUCs we use. Should I expect this issue to be fixed in a later firmware update?

Hi, I am currently experiencing this issue as well. Powering off then on is a functional workaround, but I’m also wondering if this issue will be officially fixed at some point?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.