Recovery mode does not work on my Jetson nano

Hello.

I would like to put my jetson nano in recovery mode,because I want to flash it using the SDK manager to the latest version of the Jetpack. According with this instructions :

https://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/embedded/secure/jetson/Nano/docs/NV_Jetson_Nano_Developer_Kit_User_Guide.pdf?esQ8vea4mDynvCs5be1WJefMDJwYCoDSur9D9tP1HkdEF6J9SL6GlzCydzYTXTB6EbfNaPLTvlHM5nb-pmVztEA6nUEh6mUqO20sIWZO4FioQfwRk0aYtTrfOB_lH_NarvSzkUuoix_v0KAaB42zbERhvhUgUdfLLj96b2DjyPzKZChmoQBk9hABczlKw0Cnrm8=&t=eyJscyI6ImdzZW8iLCJsc2QiOiJodHRwczovL3d3dy5nb29nbGUuY29tLyJ9

It says :

Pins 9 and 10 put the developer kit into Force Recovery Mode if they are connected when it is powered on.

and this : Jetson Nano – How to write image to SD Card from Recovery Mode | i7y blog

So,I have closed pin 9 ad 10 with a jumper,like you can see on the image below :

After that I have installed and ran SDK manager on Ubuntu 22.04 and I have turned on the board,attaching the USB cable from the USB mini port of the jetson nano to the USB 2.0 port of the PC.

Unfortunately,on the SDK manager window I always see “could not detect board”. Why ?

maybe this is the error that prevents it from running :

dmesg :

[37554.098046] traps: sdkmanager-gui[105223] trap int3 ip:559b8b270b13 sp:7ffc157b9650 error:0 in sdkmanager-gui[559b886d5000+6462000]

Hi marietto2008,

It seems you are using the custom board from Waveshare.
Please use flash script with custom BSP package for your board.

To check if it is in force recovery state, you can run lsusb on your host PC.

For Jetson Nano, it would use JP4, which is compatible with Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. Do you have other host PC with either of these version?

I didn’t buy the jetson nano customized by Waveshare,but by the seeed studio.

What I would like to know is if I need to use the flash script with custom BSP package created by seeed studio to enable the booting of Ubuntu 18.04 from the USB disk.

Actually I have installed ubuntu getting the “Jetson Nano Developer Kit SD Card Image 4.6 2021/08/04” which works for all Jetson Nano Developer Kits (both 945-13450-0000-100 and the older 945-13450-0000-000) and is built with JetPack 4.6 ; md5sum: 7c853a93e4c94400978aaa7a7d27b7ea"

and I dd’ed that image to the sd card with the command dd.

As I said,since I suspect that there is an hardware defect with the sd card housing of my jetson nano,I’m trying to boot ubuntu from the usb disk. To achieve this goal,I’ve copied every ubuntu system files located on the sd card to the usb disk with the command rsync and I have modified the extlinux.conf adding this line :

APPEND ${cbootargs} quiet root=/dev/sda1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0

unfortunately it does not boot from the usb disk. It is not able to detect any usb disk on the boot stage. You could give a look at this post created by me yesterday :

I would like to know if I need to use the “flash script with custom seeeed studio BSP package” to enable the booting of Ubuntu 18.04 from the USB disk.

I just saw there’s waveshare logo in your picture.

Yes, please use custom BSP package with flash script for custom carrier board.
Only custom BSP package would enable the SD slot according to the board desgin.

1. force recovery mode: 1) power off and disconnect microUSB cable 2) jumper switch between pin9 and pin10 3) microUSB with x86 host PC 4) power feed 5) run lsusb at x86 host and make sure 7f21 is listed

2. boot from USB: GitHub - jetsonhacks/bootFromUSB: Boot NVIDIA Nano Jetson Developer Kit from a mass storage USB device (Jetson Nano devices A02, B01, 2GB and possibly Jetson TX1)
    referred here?
    Note! You may have a mass production Nano module, but the site uses a Dev kit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.