Resource sanity check

I see these warnings on the kernel and a similar report is here, but that was ~3 years ago:

kernel: nvidia 0000:01:00.0: DMAR: 32bit DMA uses non-identity mapping
kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000d0000-0x000d3fff window]
kernel: caller _nv000908rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs

Other than the warnings, I don’t see anything wrong with the system besides some suspend issues (but don’t know if that’s related). Using a RTX-4000, kernel 5.4.38

From my observation, that message nowadays only shows up if the driver resets the gpu. The reason for this might be harmless, most times it is. In any case, it’s just a symptom. As a rule of thumb, if at the time it’s appearing nothing’s happening, ignore it.

1 Like

I managed to get rid of the warning. I had enabled a BIOS option in my motherboard called “Video OpROM policy” (inside CSM settings) to “Legacy Only”. When I changed it to “UEFI” the error went away.

Sadly having this issue a lot lately. dmesg has the error and POOF…there goes everything and I’m staring at lightdm to login. Wee happy necrobump… :(