RTX 2060 CUDA not available

Hello. the goal is to get my rtx 2060 gpu working properly for Davinci Resolve on my HP Omen 15 laptop, windows 11.

This gpu is CUDA enabled, and worked fine for months. According to GPU-Z, CUDA is not working now (photo), making video edits impossible.

The device manager indicates an error 43 for the NVIDIA card occasionally too.

For a brief few moments I got CUDA to work, according to GPU-Z, using a December 2022 version of the driver, but the computer blue screened and CUDA has not worked since.

things ive tried:

• uninstalling, reinstalling, updating drivers.
  • installing older drivers
  • installing the CUDA toolkit
  • Using DDU to clean everything out and try again
  • restarted windows 11. I do not have an option to downgrade to 10.

NVIDIA Control Panel also refuses to open, and ive tried reinstalling, repairing, and editing the registry.

Im not super tech savvy with the programing things, but I have tried every easy solution I can find online. Any advice much appreciated.

Hi there @billybobjoe730 and welcome to the NVIDIA developer forums.

I guess since you mention you tried a lot of things you also already looked at the GeForce forums? Because there a lot of people mention “Error 43” and there are a lot of solutions available. Like e.g. disabling Antivirus.

In any case, usually this error points to a driver installation issue or a real Hardware problem.

Let’s assume the first and look at what you did:

• uninstalling, reinstalling, updating drivers.

Good. When you run into this kind of trouble and re-install, always chose the “Clean installation” option. And reboot after installation, even if not prompted

• installing older drivers

Not good. Unless you properly clean up first, for example by using DDU and afterwards rebooting, there will be newer driver residuum in your system. Not recommended unless you really know what you are doing and there is no other option.

• installing the CUDA toolkit

Risky. Since you only want to use CUDA as part of DaVinci you don’t need the toolkit. That is needed if you want to develop your own CUDA based application. Installation of the toolkit will mess with your driver, unless you have the correct CUDA/driver combination installed.

• Using DDU to clean everything out and try again

Good.

NVIDIA Control Panel also refuses to open, and ive tried reinstalling, repairing, and editing the registry.

By now you might have broken your system as such. If the control panel (NVCPL) is not there or does not open it might be due to simply not being installed. Depending on which driver you downloaded it might not be part of the package. If you use GeForce Experience, NVCPL will automatically be installed. But editing the registry could potentially make things even worse.

At this stage I would recommend

• Update the BIOS to the latest version
  • If possible do a clean Windows re-installation starting from scratch
  • Install all Chipset software updates from HP
  • Reboot!
  • Disable any third party AntiVirus software
  • Download and install the Notebook specific GameReady driver for RTX 2060 from the NVIDIA download page
  • Reboot!

If you still do not see CUDA support and experience error 43 I am afraid you have a Hardware issue at hand.

I hope this helps!

Hi there, I would like to share some content on the HP Omen 15 RTX2060. I have the exact HP Omen 15 laptop as well. GPU-Z works fine on my end. Reinstall the CUDA Toolkit to get a newer driver version.