Ubuntu no longer sees RTX 3060 after installing CUDA

Hello,

I have been trying to install CUDA toolkit 11.1.1 on my Ubuntu so I can then use the LTS PyTorch 1.8.2.

Following are the hardward and software specifications of my system:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) Rev X.0x
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GA106 [GeForce RTX 3060 Lite Hash Rate]
Driver: nvidia-driver-470 (proprietary) v470.103.01
Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic, GCC: 9.3.0, GLIBC: 2.31

I believe the specs have met all the requirements listed in installation guide and release notes

So I followed through with the download instructions and successfully installed cuda.

Upon restart, as soon as launching into Ubuntu, the monitor, which is directly hdmi-ed into the 3060, black screened, with no more display coming through. After relaunching into Ubuntu but in recovery mode this time, ā€œnvidia-smiā€ in the root bash wielded ā€œno devices were foundā€ and ā€œnvcc -Vā€ wielded cuda not installed and suggested a sudo apt install of cuda 10.1, which I believe is not compatible with Ubuntu 20.04.

I have now reinstalled Ubuntu, and without installing cuda, ā€œnvidia-smiā€ is able to see gpu and works just fine.
How do I correctly install cuda without running into previous issues?

notes:
*secure boot is turned off in the system bios
*there is a fresh Windows dual booted on my device

Please help to attach nvidia bug report from repro state.

Hi amrits,
Iā€™m sorry, but there was not really any error or warning logs during any stage.
All went smoothly until blank-screen during ubuntu restart, where the only log in recovery mode was device not found and cuda not installed.
Is there any command I could enter to debug the issue further or trigger some internal log?
thanks

The full cuda package also installs an (incompatible) driver. Just install cuda-toolkit to avoid that
sudo apt install cuda-toolkit-11-1

1 Like

Thank you sir!
That correctly solved my problem!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.