Running Cuda on Docker

Hi everybody,

i’m having some problem here. I want to access the gpu from inside the docker. I have followed the tutorial on Docker on AWS GPU Ubuntu 14.04 / CUDA 6.5 - Seven Story Rabbit Hole but no luck.
the situation now is i have installed cuda on host, nvidia driver 352.55 with cuda 5.5 and devicequerry result is pass.

following the tutorial, the result from this command inside the host

ls -la /dev | grep nvidia

is

crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 250,   0 Nov  3 06:55 nvidia-uvm
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 195,   0 Nov  3 06:55 nvidia0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 195, 255 Nov  3 06:55 nvidiactl

the result from

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version

show the same result within the host

NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  352.55  Thu Oct  8 15:18:00 PDT 2015

but when running device query it’s failed with this result

-> CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version
Result = FAIL

when i try to install the driver inside the host its showing error

An NVIDIA kernel module 'nvidia-uvm' appears to already be loaded in your kernel.  This may be because it is in use (for example, by an X server, a CUDA program, or the NVIDIA Persistence Daemon), but 
         this may also happen if your kernel was configured without support for module unloading.  Please be sure to exit any programs that may be using the GPU(s) before attempting to upgrade your driver.  If 
         no GPU-based programs are running, you know that your kernel supports module unloading, and you still receive this message, then an error may have occured that has corrupted an NVIDIA kernel module's  
         usage count, for which the simplest remedy is to reboot your computer.

i dont know what to do anymore, can someone help me ?

Your Docker image drivers must match your host drivers. You say that you have nvidia driver 352.55 installed on the host, but the docker image ([url]Docker Hub) used in that tutorial has nvidia driver 340.29

So you either need to install the corresponding driver on your host, or try a different docker image with the same driver.

If you can update to CUDA 7.0, we now have a solution here:

With our approach there won’t be a mismatch problem between driver versions, simply because we don’t install the driver inside the image (only the toolkit) and the driver files are mounted when starting the container.

I’m using nvidia-docker and still seeing the same error, “CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version”.

I’m using a g2 instance on AWS w/ Ubuntu 14.04. I installed CUDA 7.5 on the host following the instructions on http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-getting-started-guide-for-linux/index.html#pre-installation-actions using cuda-repo-ubuntu1404_7.5-18_amd64.deb. I’ve run deviceQuery on the host and see the nvidia devices under /dev.

On the host:

ubuntu@ip-172-31-18-221:~/src/nvidia-docker$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  352.39  Fri Aug 14 18:09:10 PDT 2015
GCC version:  gcc version 4.8.4 (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04)

I then ran,

sudo docker build -t cuda ubuntu-14.04/cuda/7.5
sudo docker build -t dq samples/deviceQuery/
ubuntu@ip-172-31-18-221:~$ sudo docker run --privileged dq
./deviceQuery Starting...

CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking)

cudaGetDeviceCount returned 35
-> CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version
Result = FAIL

Am I using nvidia-docker incorrectly? Should I be installing CUDA on the host differently?

Thanks for any help.

You need to use the nvidia-docker wrapper instead of just “docker”.
If you have to use “sudo docker” (i.e. the user is not part of the “docker” group), then you should fetch the latest code and try something like that:
DOCKER=‘sudo docker’ ./nvidia-docker …

Hello,
I’m using AWS g2 machine with CUDA 7.0, and trying to run a docker that is based on: nvidia/cuda:7.0-cudnn4-runtime-ubuntu14.04.
deviceQuery runs successfully on the host with the following message:
deviceQuery, CUDA Driver = CUDART, CUDA Driver Version = 7.5, CUDA Runtime Version = 7.0, NumDevs = 1, Device0 = GRID K520
Result = PASS

I’ve tried to use the script nvidia-docker, and it creates successfully the machine with the message:
[ NVIDIA ] =INFO= Driver version: 352.93
[ NVIDIA ] =INFO= CUDA image version: 7.0

but when running deviceQuery, I receive the following error:

cudaGetDeviceCount returned 38
→ no CUDA-capable device is detected

Thanks for your help.

You are running an old version of nvidia-docker, please follow the instructions on the GitHub page to install the latest version:

Thanks, it solved the problem.