[S870] could not open the device file /dev/nvidia2

First, I have built Fedora7 environment on my research desktop that has Geforce8800GT for displayer. Then, I have installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-171.05 driver after connecting S870 to the desktop using the two special cables. Next, I have followed the release note to set up the CUDA Development Environment. Finally, after succeeding ‘make’ process in the projects directory, I could run some example binary files. Then, I could see the following error message when I ran matrixMul file.

[root@CUDA release]# ./matrixMul
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidia2 (Input/output error).
There is no device supporting CUDA.

If someone knows this problem, please let me know the solution.

Thanks

Did you start X with the nvidia driver on this system?

Check with “lspci |grep 3D” if all the Tesla cards are recognized by the system.
If this is a 32bit system, you may need to pass some parameters during boot (see the readme).

I have the same problem! However, I use a Quadro NVS 280 Pci (not pci-express) + Tesla C870.

Both are install perfectly. I work on Mandriva.

What are the parameters for 32 bits system?

Please HELP US!

Well,

[root@CUDA release]# ./matrixMul

NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidia2 (Input/output error). => I don’t have this line, only the next.

There is no device supporting CUDA.

It works on CUDA 1.0 with Nvidia drivers 100.14.11 (Quadro NVS 280) but don’t work on CUDA 1.1 with the same drivers! I think we must install the 169.09 (or later) NVidia driver…

confirmation?

169.09 or later is supporting CUDA 1.1

but I can’t install 169.09 drivers because use a Quadro NVS 280 Pci card!

Solution?

Why not?
It should work.

The original Quadro NVS 280 PCI card had an NV18 GPU, which is not supported in any driver package which supports CUDA.

But when I want to download the lastest drivers on NVidia, it’s the 100.14.11

Can I use 169.04 beta drivers?

But when I want to download the lastest drivers on NVidia, it’s the 100.14.11

Can I use 169.04 beta drivers?