Server 2016 SR-IOV

Hi, I am running a Server 2016 system and have a ConnectX-3 Pro dual port card installed. One port is dedicated to the host and the other port is dedicated to Hyper-V. I do not allow host traffic on the Hyper-V port. SR-IOV is enabled when I created the Hyper-V switch. I have 4 vm running: 3 are Windows 10 and 1 is Server 2012R2. I have SR-IOV enabled on all 4 machines. What I am finding is that SR-IOV is working on the 3 Windows 10 machines (eg., I can install the latest Mellanox drivers on these machines and I see the Mellanox Virtual Function Ethernet Adapter in Device Manager of these machines). However, on the Server 2012R2 vm, even though the driver package successfully installs, I do not see the Mellanox Virtual Function Ethernet Adapter on this machine. I only see the Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter. Any idea why this is the case? I think Server 2012R2 also supports SR-IOV.

Thank you, Hammer

I have the latest version of WinOF installed. Also, I notice that my vm’s are unstable when SR-IOV is enabled. Does SR-IOV need to be supported at the BIOS level? I have a S5520HC motherboard which is dated and I can’t find any info to see if SR-IOV is supported on that board. I’ve read that it’s part of the pci spec and so assumed it’s a standard feature, but I’ve also seen postings that suggest it needs BIOS support.

Thank you.

I’m not sure what WinOF version you have installed but assuming it is WinOF v5.35_FUR - then VM (Win2012R2) should have no problem picking up a VF of a preconfigured SR-IOV ETH on the top of a Win2016 Hyper-v

Suggesting to ensure::

1. Both Hyper-V & VMs have the same winof driver version (depending on the OS type)

2. the CX-3 Pro adapter has the latest FW bunt (as per adapter’s PSID)

for more posible VMs restrictions - read “known-issues” in the release-note of winof v5.35

http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_software/MLNX_VPI_WinOF_Release_Notes_Rev_5.35_FUR3.pdf http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_software/MLNX_VPI_WinOF_Release_Notes_Rev_5.35_FUR3.pdf