Shadow catcher with MDL?

Is it possible to to make a matte shader like Maya’s UseBG that allows you to create shadow mattes? Sorry if it is there and I don’t know how to activate it in the main shader. I see iRay has a ground plane option. Would be great to see that built in to the faster rendering options.
I do like the way Renderman uses the HoldOut tickbox on geo, that is a really simple way and it means the currenlty assigned shaders still provide lighting feedback. So maybe it is a geo solution and not a MDL one.

Hi delfemail,

Thanks for you interest! I’ll pass this along to the devs

This is currently in development and will be out in a couple of months. You can set any object as a shadow and reflections catcher.

1 Like

Any update on that?

+1
I have done it using the Iray renderer in GUI but want to use pathtracing via the python API. This would be great to have.

Its currently in development, I cant share the exact release but I can say that we are actively working on it. The nice thing is that it works any shape and does both shadow catching and reflections based on the assigned material

2 Likes

Looks awesome - can’t wait!

Any updates on this?

Its now supported in 2022.1 beta released today

1 Like

Awesome news - how do I get access to the beta versions?

Oh my bad I am using Isaac, but you are referring to Create

Excellent work :)
Screenshot from 2022-03-26 16-22-13

The stage does load in Isaac but it does not work as intended, makes a weird diffuse surface that is only semi-transparent