Shared Memory Addressing in Fermi

Does addressing for shared memory in Fermi start at 0. On previous hardware I have done something like the following test case which allows me to pad a set of structures in shared memory.

#define PADDING 0

#define OFFSET 0

#define SM_INDEX(i, s) ((i*(s+PADDING))+OFFSET)

__global__ void testKernel(int* g_odata) 

{

int index = threadIdx.x+(blockIdx.x*blockDim.x);

extern  __shared__  char sdata[];

int smIndex = SM_INDEX(threadIdx.x, sizeof(info));

info* s = (info*) &sdata[smIndex];

//pass

if (s){

g_odata[index] = 1;

}

//fail

else

{

g_odata[index] = 0;

}

}

On all my previous CUDA hardware this has been fine however on my current set up Windows 7 x64 with GTX480 and Cuda 3.0, threadIdx.x of every block always fails suggesting that memory addressing starts at 0x000000f. Is this a result of kernel arguments being stored in constant memory rather than shared memory as in previous architectures? i.e. address 0 was previously unavailbale. If I set the OFFSET to any value greater than 0 this passes no problem.

Is this the correct behaviour or a bug. I guess its obvious that memory addressing should start at 0 but this is usually reserved to indicate a NULL pointer.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks

Paul

GF100 has one big address space unlike GT200. Shared memory’s addresses will just live somewhere that address space.

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean GF300 has a unified address space? I assume so.

Regardless of the address space is unified but I would still expect that 0x000000f would be reserved. When shared memory had its own address space in previous architectures this was obviously the case.

Paul

It’s a unified address space, and nothing is reserved. Assumptions based on the behavior of GT200 do not necessarily apply in GF100.