Sharing a network printer

My Canon MX922 is networked with my Airport Utility via Ethernet. I am trying to share this printer with a Jetton Xavier.I connected the Xavier via Ethernet with a hub that is hooked into the Airport Utility. When I open the printer settings on the Xavier and click on start services, nothing happens. When I click on connect I get a CUPS error “failed to connect to server” (localhost), Does anyone know how to solve this?

This isn’t really any different for a Jetson than anything else running Ubuntu 18.04, but I suspect a lot fewer packages are installed for a Jetson than would be installed for a desktop PC. Does this install anything?
sudo apt-get install cups

If it does, then I’m not sure if this uses newer systemctl syntax or older init script syntax, but do you then see anything from:
sudo systemctl list-units --all --no-pager | egrep -i '(print|cups)'

One of two possible start commands:
sudo systemctl start cups.service (implies cups was seen as a service in the systemctl list-units command)
…or (if older syntax):
sudo service cups start

Keep in mind that even if you have this installed, that you might still need additional configuration for that particular printer, e.g., a “.ppd” file or other config placed somewhere.

Hi
Thanks for your suggestion. Your first one “sudo apt-get install cups” installed cups and as result my printers were detected on the network, When I tried to add one of my printers the message was " additional printer drivers required. When I clicked on Find in Software…the message was that no drivers could be found. Are there no drivers for a CanonMX922 to be connected to a Jetson Xavier ?

These are not really drivers, although the naming was adopted. Originally only PostScript printers used what is called a “PPD” file (PostScript Printer Definition). This basically lists a way to define a printer’s functionality, and if you have one for your printer, then dropping it in the correct location means the printer can be configured. The docs for this are actually fairly good, and it is likely that with CUPS running you can reach the admin at http://127.0.0.1:631/ (you might have to read docs about password setup, but I have not done this in a long time).

I looked up this printer on Google, and found this:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-series-inkjet/mx922?tab=drivers_downloads

Basically the “firmware” is the driver, and is only used for print purposes. Other functions probably use what they label the “Utilities” (such as if there is an application to see ink levels). Unfortunately I could not find any of this under Linux or even Mac (the same “firmware” which works on a Mac will work on Linux for the PPD file; sometimes even a Windows PPD will work on Linux…the PPD itself is somewhat platform independent, although not entirely).

Sometimes you can search for your particular printer in the regular repositories (e.g., “apt search canon”) and find a “driver” or “PPD” or “firmware”, and this will work even though the manufacturer does not post this.

Sometimes another printer model which uses basically the same core printing abilities will work for the PPD/firmware/driver since the printing language itself is more or less constant.

Specialty software which is intended for things like measuring ink levels does need to be compiled or tailored for Linux, but printing does not usually have this requirement. Scanning probably does need software specific to that printer as well, but might be “generic” enough to work with another Canon scanner’s software if it exists on Linux.

Note: If you really want a good printer which works well on just about any operating system, then get one with native PostScript printer language support. The printer you mention does not have PostScript so far as I can find.

Many thanks. I will lookup the doc and references you gave.

it rather needs to get conencted to specific network address than to localhost, in my opinion
do you know the exact ip address of the network printer?
sometimes network printers might have cups service available/published through their ip address
also there should be web interface for conencting to the pprinter from web browser

typically using network address of the network printer will work

it could be added either with default settings menu or via cups;

cups could be installed locally

sudo apt install cups

Sometimes ppd file might be required to be downloaded from vendor’s website
ref: Using Network Printers

Yes I do know the ip address of the network printer…when a list of my network printers show and I click on the network printer with the IP address I get Connection: IPP network printer via DNS-SD, Clicking on forward then gives me the error that Additional Printer Drivers Required. A search for it yields nothing; when I simply ignore the printer drivers request and lick on Apply printer name, location…I get first an CUPS server error and then…
got a printer connected to localhost (green check mark came on) So my question is how do I print to this printer? When I highlight a program in OpenCV right clicking mouse does not show a print option?

My network printer is definitely connected…it printed out a test page. So my question now is how do I print out a program? Or how do I print the error messages I get when I try to connect two Raspberry Pi cameras? Both would be invaluable in order to share with other forum users. Thanks for all you help.

it depends
typically I would print a file /use some application like Libre Office.
I did not try otherwise

Could you please explain. I am not familiar with Libre Office. An example would be most helpful.

H Andrey

I got it. Just found Libre Office already installed (water, calc and impress). I opened writer, moved a text into it and was able to print it. Thanks for all your help.
Guido