Some questions about the new 470 driver and Wayland

Hello, I’m currently testing the new 470 driver on my Optimus laptop (MSI GL62M 7RDX) and want to clarify some things.

So, in a Wayland session:

juil. 23 08:17:04 gnome-shell[4514]: Failed to initialize accelerated iGPU/dGPU framebuffer sharing: Do not want to use software renderer (llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.1, 256 bits)), falling back to CPU copy path

And yes I followed the instructions for XWayland: Chapter 38. OpenGL and Vulkan on Xwayland

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (848,3 Ko)

1. No, currently reverse PRIME bypass requires coordination between the client-side OpenGL / Vulkan driver running in the application and the NVIDIA X driver running in the Xorg server.

2. This currently isn’t supported due to the way the graphics OSD is implemented. We’ll look into making it work for the Wayland presentation path in the future.

3. From my reading of the code, it looks like this happens when gnome-shell / mutter tries to set up an EGL context on the dGPU using libgbm, which is not yet supported by the NVIDIA driver. I don’t think that should be required for the EGLStream backend though, but I’m not sure. Are you experiencing a problem with GPU acceleration?

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

I’m not experiencing any GPU acceleration issues with XWayland apps using PRIME Render Offload
but I guess it does not currently supports running native Wayland app?