TX2 Recent Cloning Issues

Hi,

Been successfully using the TX2 clone mechanism for about a year, I suppose:-

JetPack 28.1

sudo ./flash.sh -r -k APP -G my_backup.img jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
sudo ./flash.sh -r -k APP jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1

Then recently been having problems after the flash has been performed, which gives no errors.

Tried cloning from/to different TX2’s

Ethernet fails to start, services fail to start, strangely logs in as root, rather than standard user etc.

Any ideas as I am stumped!

Attached is the log file

Thanks

tx2.log (77.5 KB)

Is the rootfs being restored to a system which was flashed using the same release?

Also, is there any chance your host which performed the clone ran out of disk space on that partition? You can “cd /where/ever/it/cloned” and run “df -H -T .”.

I am using the TX2 clone mechanism, too. And I get the same occasion.
I have two Tx2. I backup system from A and flash it into B. But B has not UI and logins in terminal as root rather than standard user when B starts.
And before B logins into terminal, it shows

A start job is running for dev-mmcblk1p1.device(19s / 1min 30s)

Then it waits unit 1min 30s…After that, it can login in terminal.
I try to execute “service lightdm restart”, but it failed.

Looks like it is demanding an SD card. However, there are many partitions which are not the root partition, and these must match the release for the root partition. Have both units been flashed with the same L4T release? If not, then the rootfs of one Jetson will be incompatible with the other Jetson.

Second, there are places where Linux can optionally customize certain details. One of my favorite examples is to assign a new network device name or network device setup via the MAC address…and then have other software depend on this new name. This gets cloned, and if the hardware doesn’t have that MAC address, then it fails. A second example is that if passwords or accounts have been changed to something custom in one system, then the passwords and accounts would be changed in the second system as well. Was there any customization, e.g., network setup, but especially was anything done with the SD card? An example would be that if the SD was mounted while it was being cloned, then some temporary files residing on the eMMC might be expecting the SD to still be present.

Also, on the host PC where you store the clone (the specific directory where the clone took place), run “df -H .” (the “.” is important…alternatively instead of using cd to go there and then use “.”, instead use “df -H /where/ever/the/clone/was/originally/created”). There are times when Jetson clone and create operations will silently truncate content if there isn’t enough space on the host.

Right, The cloned Tx2 is inserted with a SD card. I will try backup again after setting the SD card aside. Thank you for your reply.

I had try again. The problem was indeed due to SD card loss. Thands for your help. Have a nice day.