Ubuntu 9.04 cuda 2.3 SDK wont do "make"

Hello all, I am trying to get cuda to work on my freshly installed 64bit ubuntu 9.04.

So far I have followed the install instructions by Nvidia to the letter and both the driver and the toolkit installed succesfully. However I cant for the love of all that is holy get the SDK to compile properly.

I have a freshly installed 9.04 box it inclues gcc4.3 and g++4.3 from scratch. gcc --version gives this “gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3”
I have sucessfully installed the 190 driver without any problems, I can open the settings panel and it says the right driver version etc.
I have the following added to my .bashrc file

CUDA stuff

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/cuda/bin/
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/cuda/lib64
export PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

They also show up when I echo $PATH and $LD_LIBARAY_PATH so I assume this is done correctly as well.

Upon installing the SDK it tells me the following:
Enter install path (default ~/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK):

Located CUDA at /usr/local/cuda/bin//nvcc
If this is correct, choose the default below.
If it is not correct, enter the correct path to CUDA

Since I installed using the default directories I assume this means everything is working as it should and just press enter both times promted.
when its done it says it is succesfull, and this

• Please make sure your PATH includes /usr/local/cuda/bin//nvcc/bin
  • Please make sure your LD_LIBRARY_PATH includes /usr/local/cuda/bin//nvcc/lib

Since it is not mentioned in the Nvidia instructions or in any of the guides I have been able to locate then I try to go on without doing this. However I have tried to add them to the file like this

CUDA stuff

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/cuda/bin/:/usr/local/cuda/bin//nvcc/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/cuda/lib64:/usr/local/cuda/bin//nvcc/lib
export PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

but I still get the same problem. The following is the text I get on screen from I enter make in /NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/C

make[1]: Entering directory /home/aiyen/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/C/common' In file included from src/bank_checker.cpp:15: ./../common/inc/bank_checker.h:34: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/bank_checker.h:220: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type src/bank_checker.cpp:57: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type src/bank_checker.cpp:259: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type In file included from ./../common/inc/stopwatch.h:18, from src/cutil.cpp:34: ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.h:56: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.h:60: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type In file included from ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.h:72, from ./../common/inc/stopwatch.h:18, from src/cutil.cpp:34: ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.inl:67: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.inl:78: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type In file included from ./../common/inc/stopwatch.h:25, from src/cutil.cpp:34: ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:46: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:50: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:126: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:143: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type In file included from src/cutil.cpp:34: ./../common/inc/stopwatch.h:35: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type In file included from src/cutil.cpp:35: ./../common/inc/bank_checker.h:34: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/bank_checker.h:220: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type src/cutil.cpp: In function ‘CUTBoolean<unnamed>::loadPPM(const char*, unsigned char**, unsigned int*, unsigned int*, unsigned int*)’: src/cutil.cpp:171: warning: ignoring return value of ‘char* fgets(char*, int, FILE*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result src/cutil.cpp:193: warning: ignoring return value of ‘char* fgets(char*, int, FILE*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result src/cutil.cpp:228: warning: ignoring return value of ‘size_t fread(void*, size_t, size_t, FILE*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result In file included from ./../common/inc/stopwatch.h:18, from src/stopwatch.cpp:17: ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.h:56: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.h:60: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type In file included from ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.h:72, from ./../common/inc/stopwatch.h:18, from src/stopwatch.cpp:17: ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.inl:67: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_base.inl:78: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type In file included from ./../common/inc/stopwatch.h:25, from src/stopwatch.cpp:17: ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:46: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:50: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:126: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:143: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type In file included from src/stopwatch.cpp:17: ./../common/inc/stopwatch.h:35: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type src/stopwatch.cpp:71: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type In file included from src/stopwatch_linux.cpp:15: ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:46: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:50: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:126: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type ./../common/inc/stopwatch_linux.h:143: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type a - obj/release/bank_checker.cpp.o a - obj/release/cmd_arg_reader.cpp.o a - obj/release/cutil.cpp.o a - obj/release/stopwatch.cpp.o a - obj/release/stopwatch_linux.cpp.o a - obj/release/multithreading.cpp.o make[1]: Leaving directory /home/aiyen/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/C/common’
make[1]: Entering directory /home/aiyen/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/C/common' In file included from ./../common/inc/paramgl.h:24, from src/paramgl.cpp:19: ./../common/inc/GL/glut.h:60:20: error: GL/glu.h: No such file or directory make[1]: *** [obj/release/paramgl.cpp.o] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory /home/aiyen/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/C/common’
make: *** [lib/libparamgl.so] Error 2

I hope someone else in here who knows abit more about the inner workings of ubuntu will be able to help me solve why oh why it does this. Thanks in advance.

try the method in
[url=“http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t30464.html”]http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t30464.html[/url]

Thanks for the hint although I needed alot more then what was said there… but the problem was of that type, so I did some more searching and found a few other entries on this forum and elsewhere. Basically I cooked the process of installing CUDA 2.3 on Ubuntu 9.04 down to this.
First I did a completely fresh install just to make sure.

First get the correct driver version cuda toolkit and SDK from Nvidias download section.

Then I installed the 190 driver (there are comprehensible guides on how to do that elsewhere so wont put that in here)

Open a terminal and get glut and all that it needs downloaded.

sudo apt-get install build-essential libglut3-dev

Then I installed the toolkit and the SDK.
However the SDK could still not unpack anything but the device test, but at least the error was clear now it almost said what packages was needed.

The 3 packages are. I am sure you can get these before installing the toolkit and SDK too.

libxmu-dev
libxmu-headers
libxi-dev

After installing those then everything worked like a charm. (We still ignore all the warnings that the SDK installer says during the process.)
Hope that may help someone else out there!