Unable to load info from any available system; Ubuntu 20.0.4 external RTX 2080 TI [SOLVED]

I have a ThinkPad X280 Laptop with Intel Core i7-8550U CPU, and a dock station with RTX 2080 TI inside.

Ubuntu version is 20.0.4; recommended nvidia drivers version is 515.
I tried all available drivers versions, and none of them works for me - while launching the nvidia-settings I’m receiving the same error: “ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system”, and the only available menu entry is “PRIME-profiles”.
Also external monitors connected to the GPU are not available, but the Nvidia video card is shown as the main video card in the system.
I have read related topics, and as far as I got it, the same error occurs only with AMD CPU.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (327.2 KB)

It’s an egpu:

[    24.466] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): This device is an external GPU, but external GPUs have not
[    24.466] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     been enabled with AllowExternalGpus. Disabling this device
[    24.466] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     to prevent crashes from accidental removal.

Please create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-egpu.conf only containing

Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "nvidia-egpu"
    MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "AllowExternalGpus" "True"
EndSection
1 Like

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.