Unified Memory Profiling is not supported on the underlying platform

Model : MAX - Clocks : ENABLED

Hi,
I would try the sample ‘UnifiedMemoryPerf’ on Xavier and I got the following warning ‘Unified Memory Profiling is not supported’.
From there, nvprof showed the Xavier’s performance is the same as my laptop with GTX1060.
Did I miss something?
Thanks in advance

/d970evo/NVIDIA_CUDA-10.0_Samples/bin/aarch64/linux/release$ sudo /usr/local/cuda-10.0/bin/nvprof ./UnifiedMemoryPerf
==13045== NVPROF is profiling process 13045, command: ./UnifiedMemoryPerf
==13045== Warning: Unified Memory Profiling is not supported on the underlying platform. System requirements for unified memory can be found at: http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-c-programming-guide/index.html#um-requirements
GPU Device 0: “Xavier” with compute capability 7.2

Hi,

Sorry for the confusing.
The unified memory is supported but the profiler doesn’t.

The default configuration for unified memory profiling is set to off.
Please add ‘–unified-memory-profiling per-process-device’ to enable the function.

You will see the unified memory report on a supported platform.

$ sudo /usr/local/cuda-10.0/bin/nvprof --unified-memory-profiling per-process-device
... ...

==3119== Unified Memory profiling result:
Device "GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (0)"
   Count  Avg Size  Min Size  Max Size  Total Size  Total Time  Name
   63943  61.578KB  4.0000KB  2.0000MB  3.755108GB  374.0029ms  Host To Device
   10566  368.50KB  4.0000KB  2.0000MB  3.713150GB  326.7234ms  Device To Host
    3824         -         -         -           -  590.4804ms  Gpu page fault groups
      13         -         -         -           -  6.624908ms  Page throttles
     366  4.0000KB  4.0000KB  4.0000KB  1.429688MB           -  Memory thrashes
Total CPU Page faults: 4756
Total CPU thrashes: 366
Total CPU throttles: 6

Thanks.

Hi AastaLLL,

Thanks a lot for your help.
Sorry for the confusing. What I would like to say is about the Jetson Xavier that I got this Warning message.
Do you know how to use correctly nvprof on the Jetson Xavier for having not the following warning?

nvidia@jetson-04234185:~/d970evo/NVIDIA_CUDA-10.0_Samples/bin/aarch64/linux/release$ sudo /usr/local/cuda-10.0/bin/nvprof --unified-memory-profiling per-process-device ./UnifiedMemoryPerf
==8294== NVPROF is profiling process 8294, command: ./UnifiedMemoryPerf
==8294== Warning: Unified Memory Profiling is not supported on the underlying platform. System requirements for unified memory can be found at: http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-c-programming-guide/index.html#um-requirements
GPU Device 0: “Xavier” with compute capability 7.2

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Unified memory is supported on the Xavier platform.
We are checking if this limitation comes from the profiler side with our internal team.

Will update information with you later.
Thanks.

Hi,

The limitation comes from nvprof.
Jetson memory system is different from the desktop (shared physical memory) and our profiler doesn’t support it yet.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks.

Hello,

Has there been any further development on nvprof to support Unified Memory profiling on the Jetson platform?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Unified memory profiling is not supported on the Jetson due to the different memory management system.
Thanks.

There is an error when running the command: ======= Error: no application specified. can someone help?

Hi,

This error indicate that you don’t execute a program so the profiler doesn’t have a target to profile with.

Please run the command like this:

sudo /usr/local/cuda/bin/nvprof [your program]
sudo /usr/local/cuda/bin/nvprof ./test
sudo /usr/local/cuda/bin/nvprof python test.py

Thanks.