Update Problems on Jetson TX2 & TK1

Flashed Jetpack 3.1 on Jetson TX2, and Jetson was running on Ubuntu 14.04 without any problems. Then I had to do update from software center for installing some camera driver. Hence Jetson’s Ubuntu automatically updated itself to 16.04. Now Ubuntu menus are missing, and can’t fix it. Will re-flash the TX2 again.

Previously I had Jetson TK1, and always had problems after the updates too (such as login loop). It took lots of time to fix the post-update issues.

Now planning to flash Jetpack 3.2 and here comes the newbie question:

Is updating Jetpack installed Jetsons via software center is officially supported? Or should I never try updating the cards?

I’m not sure what you mean by automatically updated itself…flashing with JetPack3.1 by default puts L4T R28.1 on a TX2, which in turn uses an Ubuntu 16.04 sample rootfs. Flashing implies erasing what was there and putting something fresh and new in place. There is an Ubuntu mechanism too, after boot, which might offer an upgrade to the newer Ubuntu release…this will break the system and should never ever be used…such an update does not provide NVIDIA drivers or firmware or boot loader updates which are mandatory for the hardware to work. Not to be confused with updating packages, which is still something you should do (updating packages won’t migrate from 14.04 to 16.04).

If the GUI app for package update is used for updating packages you should be ok (but see the next paragraph). If updating the Ubuntu version through this mechanism, e.g., going from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04, then this is guaranteed to destroy the install. Never migrate to a newer Ubuntu release via the Ubuntu software.

To see if the NVIDIA drivers are in place run “sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release”. Sometimes an ordinary package update will overwrite one of the libglx.so files and cause issues with the GUI, but this can simply be copied back in place from an alternate location.

Files listed in “/etc/nv_tegra_release” are ones provided in what the driver package installs through the “apply_binaries.sh” script. You’ll notice that libglx.so is listed twice…if one location shows up as failed from sha1sum, but the other location is not failed, then simply copy the non-failed version to the failed version. There is one package which has been known to overwrite this, but you should keep the system updated. When this occurs the GUI will fail, but console and ssh will still work.