Updating NVIDIA ESXi host driver. Couple questions that I have about this...

I have 3 hosts currently running NVIDIA-VMware_ESXi_6.5_Host_Driver 384.73-1OEM.650.0.0.459867. Looking to update to most current which is 384.111. I’ve never updated the driver before so have a few questions

1. There are 3 hosts with 1 GPU each. If I only updated the driver on one host would everything still work? I don’t plan on this but just curious.

2. The VM’s on these hosts are currently running Windows NVIDIA Graphics Driver 385.41. When I downloaded the GRID for vSphere 6.5 package it included a new version (386.09). Will the 385.41 driver version work after I update the hosts or will that also need to be updated?

3. When I open up the Product Information tab of my NVIDIA Software Licensing Center there are two versions in the Current Releases tab. Version 4.6 and version 5.2. This is kind of confusing for me. I plan on using the drivers in the v5.2 link but curious why the version 4.6 is there?

Hi,

First of all there are two different "major" branches: 4.x and 5.x. You are already using 5.x branch and therefore you should update to 5.2.

For 1) Yes it should. But I would start to update the Windows driver first and afterwards the host driver.

Be aware that running "non matching" host/guest driver versions is not supported and works only for the same major branch. So if you want to update to a future 6.x version you would need to update guest/host at the same time.

Regards

Simon