Upgrading CUDA 10.2 to 11.6 in Jetson Nano

Hi
I have a newly created Jetpack 4.6 on a Nano with a preinstalled CUDA 10.2.300 and wanted to know how to upgrade to 11.6 or 11.7 please let me know.

Thanks

Sorry, can’t do it. The GPU in a Jetson is directly integrated to the memory controller (an iGPU), whereas most CUDA software out there is for a discrete PCIe-based GPU (a dGPU). The software for the iGPU driver is not interchangeable with dGPU software, and only the CUDA software which comes with a specific release of L4T (the content actually flashed to the Nano) is compatible (there are a lot of dependencies).

You’d have to use the specific JetPack/SDKM (the front end installer software which flashes L4T) which has a particular CUDA release, and the 11.x CUDA releases all use JetPack/SDKM 5.x+. Nanos reached end of life so far as “new features” go several years ago. Only Xavier and Orin have JP5.x+ available, and even Xavier will go obsolete for new features not too far down the road (but the Xavier software is much further ahead compared to Nano and could easily run CUDA 11.x, although when CUDA 12 comes out it will likely be left behind and you’d need Orin for a future 12.x).

Thanks for the detailed explanation on why it can’t be done and what could be my alternative. This really helps in the architecture planning and using the right module of Jetson.

Members with passion to help others like you, help thrive the developer community and take it to the next level. You have saved lot of my time and energy. Thank you very much.

Also, Orin module / kit is not available until Mar-April '23, hence this attempt.

I was also wondering until then, can I use Nano with Jetpack 5.x+ ?

JetPack 5.x+ won’t boot on a Nano. The Nano boot chain is either U-Boot or CBoot (or a combination, depending on release). JetPack 5.x+ migrated to UEFI (another good reason to go with 5.x, but not possible on a Nano). That boot chain was never ported to a Nano. In theory I think someone once got it to work, so it might be possible, but it would be a pretty difficult and unreliable path. I don’t know of any practical solution without developing on either an Xavier or an Orin.

Thanks for the timely info as well. Your help and support is highly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.