Using CSI Camera with Docker on Jetsons

Hi all,

I’m currently working on running DL algorithms inside docker containers and I’ve been successful. However, I can only get it running by passing --net=host flag to docker run command which makes container use host computer’s network interface. If I don’t pass that flag it throws the following error:

No EGL Display 
nvbufsurftransform: Could not get EGL display connection
No protocol specified
nvbuf_utils: Could not get EGL display connection

When I do

echo $DISPLAY

it outputs :0 which is correct.

But I don’t understand what Gstreamer, X11 or EGL has to do with full network feature. Is there any explanation for this or any workaround except --net=host flag? Because of this reason I can’t map different ports for various containers.

Hi,

Do you run the docker with similar config like this?

$ sudo docker run --runtime nvidia --network host -it -e DISPLAY=$DISPLAY -v /tmp/.X11-unix/:/tmp/.X11-unix nvcr.io/nvidia/l4t-base:r32.2

Here is a tutorial for docker on Jetson for your reference:
https://github.com/NVIDIA/nvidia-docker/wiki/NVIDIA-Container-Runtime-on-Jetson

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, I am using the same command. My question is can I use CSI cameras within the container without specifying --network host flag?

Hi,

Suppose yes.

A possible reason is that local display should be :1 in Ubuntu18.04.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/491344/ubuntu-18-04-1-lts-default-display-value

Not sure if the DISPLAY=:0, which is not the local display, request for the network connection.
Could you try to update the DISPLAY port to :1 see if helps?

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I just had the chance to try it out. However, when I do

export DISPLAY=:1

and then run the container without specifying the –network host, it still throws:

No EGL Display 
No EGL Display 
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...

Using winsys: x11 
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

Hi,

Do you execute any application to cause this error?

No EGL Display

We can enable the container without setting network successfully:

sudo docker run --runtime nvidia -it -e DISPLAY=$DISPLAY -v /tmp/.X11-unix/:/tmp/.X11-unix nvcr.io/nvidia/l4t-base:r32.2

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, I am trying to start a python script for let’s say object detection. There is no problem with enabling the container without setting network, the main question is why can’t I get the CSI camera output from inside of the container if I do not set the network setting?

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

The path can work correctly with fakesink like this:

sudo docker run -it --rm --runtime nvidia -v /tmp/.X11-unix/:/tmp/.X11-unix [container]

Thanks.