VK_VALVE_mutable_descriptor extension is needed in Linux drivers

Hey, so I don’t know if anyone at Nvidia is aware (I imagine they are), but Cyberpunk 2077 requires the VK_VALVE_mutable_descriptor extension to run without crashing on Linux via Proton. The Mesa vulkan-radeon driver for AMD GPUs has implemented the extension, so the game now runs on AMD GPUs. And while the game will launch on Nvidia, it will crash after a period of time due to the missing extension.

Please, if you could, get this extension implemented in the Linux drivers (if nothing else, at least the Vulkan beta driver). I’m sure the vkd3d-proton guys over at the VKx discord (or their github GitHub - HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton: Fork of VKD3D. Development branches for Proton's Direct3D 12 implementation.) can surely help with more information as needed.

3 Likes

We are about a week “overdue” for a new vulkan beta…
The last 5-6 drivers or so have been appx 2 weeks apart +/- few days.

455.46.02 came nov. 23’rd, and that is 22 days, so about a week more than “usual”. Not saying there is a deadline or anything, but there was a windows WHQL driver today (15th dec), so i am fairly sure we will see one “any day now”, or “Soon™” :)

They did release a new driver today (460.27.04), but it’s a mainline beta driver, not a vulkan beta one, and there’s no VK_VALVE_mutable_descriptor.

December 16th, 2020 - Windows 457.67, Linux 455.46.04
No VK_VALVE_mutable_descriptor mentioned, so i assume it is not there. Well, it’s not christmas yet :P